I like when you can create something tasty, healthy and satisfying that serves a whole heap of purposes; namely it can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even dessert.
It’s always a toss up for me between banana bread and zucchini bread…my recent breakfast muffin tops were delicious on all counts and satisfied both realms of deliciousness in one fell swoop. Of course I couldn’t let the zucchini season pass without making a big loaf of the good stuff!
Banana Zucchini Bread…the best banana bread I’ve ever had and the greatest zucchini bread I ever did make, all in one! It was my first time experimenting with coconut flour for baking and the end result was incredible! The coconut flour added a delicious natural sweetness, a slightly different texture and it smelt like nothing that’s ever wafted from my oven doors before!
I’ve made my way through the loaf (almost, I have a couple of slices frozen!). Light, moist, fragrant, it’s possibly the best thing I’ve ever baked! I can only attribute it to the coconut flour!
The first slice I devoured plain and simply but it was even more incredible when smothered with a generous helping of Almond Butter (Maranatha no stir to be precise!) Seriously that stuff is amazing!
Aside from the baking I’ve been up to quite a bit the past few days…
- Lots of interviews for various random part time jobs to keep me going through my studies.
- Having received my copy of The China Study the penny continues to drop as I make my way through the chapters as fast as my speed reading eyes and mind will let me! I’ll be sharing a little of what has astounded me thus far next week.
- Having my first ever business cards printed up!
- And it was also my last official week of full time work; I think a little road trip next week is potentially on the cards to visit the only Vegan Cafe in Ireland! I also need to make a stop closer to home to a raw cafe that I’ve been meaning to drop down to since I found out about it a couple of months back.
I have quite the to do list aside from the fun stuff above to get through but it’s all very exciting! I mentioned a while back about the onset of psoriasis and that it was attributed to stress…it’s pretty much disappeared since I made the decision to follow my passion! Following my heart is working out quite well so far…here’s to a bright beautiful future (full of banana bread!)
What has been keeping you busy lately?
What’s your favourite banana bread variation?
Vegan Banana Zucchini Coconut Flour Bread
Servings – 8
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 40 – 45 minutes
- 1 cup finely grated zucchini
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) wholegrain spelt flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) coconut flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup (80ml) maple syrup
- 60ml (1/4 cup) almond milk
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 6 tbsp water (2 flax eggs)
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flaxseed meal and water and set to one side for 15 minutes.
- Mix together spelt flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl mix together flax eggs, maple syrup, milk, banana and zucchini.
- Add wet to dry, stirring well to combine.
- Place mixture in a to a non stick or lined 2lb loaf tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 – 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, remove and cool further on a wire cooling rack. Slices perfectly in 8 thick heart warming slices
*Delicious spread with almond butter.