[donotprint] Bit of an post title for a food blogger you might think…let me explain myself!
This time last year I spent many an afternoon, evening and weekend morning with my pretty much the whole of my upper body submerged in blackberry bushes which are wonderfully positioned on the side of a main road just near my house!
There are distinct advantages to this…
- Avoiding animals…
- It’s close by.
- Not many people are crazy enough to go pick them (I’m never one to pass up free food and there really is nothing better than picking your own fruit!)
There are however a number of disadvantages…
- Most notably the strange looks from motorists who have absolutely no idea what I’m up and share either disdain or concern, it’s hard to make out from a distance.
- The usual cuts and crazes that come with blackberry picking are made even more likely due to the fact the berry bushes are perched behind a hefty steal barrier in a deep ditch.
But it is so worth it!
This smoothie was not however whipped up with the fruits of my labour as due to the mucky weather we’ve been having this week I haven’t yet braved the conditions and strange looks; though I shall be out in full force by the weekend rain, hail or shine as I simply can’t see those berries go to waste!
Also having made this black and blue smoothie bowl I have cravings for all things blackberry and now being officially unemployed, a student once more, punnets of blackberries from the store on mass are not something my budget will allow for.
This smoothie kicked off my What I Ate Wednesday Post yesterday after some side line babbling about the joys of Autumn, with a bright punch of colour. I just love how incorporating or basing a smoothie on berries never fails to produce a feast for the eyes as much as the taste buds.
I topped it off with a sprinkling of a quick walnut granola which I whipped up especially. I often bake a portion or two of granola when I fancy trying something different. It’s so quick and handy and their are so many wonderful possibilities when it comes to flavour and add in combinations!
A super simple delicious healthy slightly Autumnal smoothie incorporating the last of the summer fruits…hope you like it!
Also as promised the winner of the My Vitamins giveaway is…
Send me on your postal address and I will have the 3 months supply of complete energy sent straight to you!
Anyone else looking forward to blackberry picking? [/donotprint]
Black and Blue Smoothie Bowl
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes (for granola topping)
- 1/3 cup jumbo oats
- 1/3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 tbsp apple sauce
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped walnuts
- 1.5 cups (375ml) almond milk
- 1/2 cup frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 small frozen banana
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 1/2 tbsp dried blueberries
- Fresh blueberries and blackberries for topping
- Preheat oven to 160 (320F).
- Mix together maple syrup and apple sauce and pour over oats and walnuts. Mix up until the oats and walnuts are nicely coated. Place on a non stick baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, tossing 2 or 3 times during the cooking.
- Remove from the oven and set to one side.
- Blend together all smoothie ingredients with the exception of the dried blueberries and fresh fruit.
- Serve topped with fresh fruit, dried blueberries and walnut granola.