[donotprint] For a few weeks I may attempts to track down peanut flour having discovered it online.
Peanut flour of any kind could not only not be found, when I asked people about it they looked at me like I had two heads (some of them even three!)
How could something that is so common in the US and Canada, widely heard of and used in the UK be so enigmatic in Ireland?! A hell of a lot easier than you’d imagine! It’s not the only dietary staple (peanut flour has become a staple!) that has been difficult to track down or resulted in some quizzical looks!
I picked myself up a big bag of peanut flour from iHerb which arrived within a week of ordering all the way from the US. I mightily impressed and couldn’t wait to get experimenting with it! First on my list, aside from mixing some up for a tasty peanut butter spread, was a little bit of baking.
Behold the peanut butter banana muffin! A healthy, super duper satisfying muffin. I made 6 big muffins about the size of my fist but the recipe could easily be split to make a bigger batch of 12 smaller muffins.
There is nothing worse than a muffin that does little for hunger, merely getting your tastebuds going or satisfying your appetite in the short term only to leave you munching in to another one a little while later. I like a good hearty belly filling muffin.
The peanut butter made for a muffin comparable to a banana bread, though they are honestly like nothing else I’ve ever had before. I suppose a hybrid if you will; a cross between a muffin and a banana bread!
I love the glossiness of the surface…the perfect topping, beneath a soft moist peanutty dense cake, so rich, almost creamy…my first experiment was a triumph! The flavour comes through quite spectacularly. I wasn’t expecting them to taste quite so peanut buttery…adding the peanut flour just didn’t quite register….until I stuck them in the oven and peanut butter wafted, drenching the kitchen with all it’s wonderfulness!
I can’t wait to get experimenting with some other recipes; so many ideas, so little time but peanut pancakes are definitely on the agenda tomorrow morning!
What’s your favourite peanut flour recipe? [/donotprint]
Peanut Butter Muffins
Servings – 6 medium muffins
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 – 25 minutes
- 1.5 cups (180g) wholegrain spelt flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) peanut flour
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 6 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup (50g) raw cane sugar
- 1.5 cups mashed banana
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125ml) almond milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 180C (350 F).
- Mix together water and flaxseed meal and set to one side for 15 minutes.
- Mix together sugar, banana, vanilla extract and almond milk. Blend until smooth using a hand blender or food processor. Add in flax egg and stir well to combine.
- Mix together cinnamon, peanut flour, baking powder, baking soda and spelt flour. Add wet to dry, folding together until well combined.
- Divide muffin mix between 6 large muffin cases. Baked in the preheated oven for 20 –25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.