[donotprint] Having left work just over a week ago I’m busier than ever! I’m doing bits and bobs for various different people, still up at the crack of dawn, going to the odd interview, and just generally not having a spare minute in the day. I’m hitting the gym in the morning now; though it doesn’t open until 7.00, sometimes 9.00 so I usually do a bit of cooking or taking pics bright and early before heading to a class, namely spinning or heading for a run.
I like making my life a little complicated when it comes to breakfasts! I’m known for spending quite a bit of time creating pancakes and bakes, usually taking longer than is really required due to a whole heap of multi tasking. Rather than spending extra time cooking this week I’ve found myself becoming more efficient than ever!
Dinners in 15 minutes (lots of new recipes to come!) and quick one bowl breakfasts (though pancakes of course had to be had over the weekend! )
It’s been so long since I had a warm bowl of stove top oats…it was probably last Christmas time come to think of it! Weekends are usually all about parfaits and pancakes and then when it comes to during the week I’m used to being up and in work before breakfast rolls around (those 7am starts, I’m trying to stick to the routine of it!) which left little time for freshly cooked comforting oats.
I got this sudden urge/craving for them last week and decided it was about time I had a go at Kath’s famous whipped oats. Oats, banana, almond milk and cinnamon…fresh blackberries stirred threw and allowed to heat a little. Topped off with a little homemade blackberry jam and almond butter (No Stir Maranatha to be exact!)
They were every bit as incredible as I imagined they might be and then some. As much as I love my overnight oats these really were a pleasant and dare I say it one more time, comforting change! So creamy and belly warming, I pretty much licked the bowl clean.
How I ever lived without banana in my life still astounds me…how I lived without breakfast…so tragic, but I’m definitely making up for it these days!
What’s your favourite way to cook stove top oats? Mix ins? Toppings? [/donotprint]
Banana Blackberry Whipped Stove Top Oats (inspired by Kath Eats)
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 6-8 minutes
- 50g (1/2 cup) rolled oats
- 125ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- 1 small ripe banana thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 tbsp almond butter to serve
- 1/3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp desiccated coconut
- Blackberry jam (simply simmer blackberries and blend, allowing to thicken over a low heat for about 10 minutes)
- Place almond milk and water in a pot, add in oats, cinnamon and almond extract, bring to the boil, simmer and stir occassionally for 5 minutes.
- Add in banana and whip until it melts away. Stir in blackberries and leave to simmer for a minute or two.
- Serve topped with a couple more blackberries, blackberry jam, almond butter and a sprinkling of coconut to finish!