The only consistencies being that they’re sweet and served up for breakfast.
Well I decided to try my hand at a bit of savoury pancake making. The end result was a cross between a pancake and a fritter…a frit-cake if you will! Healthier than a fritter and not quite as crisp as it’s not deep fried, a little more dense and solid than a pancake.
I was so damn pleased with myself! I attempted to make zucchini fritters once before and failed miserably. When something goes so terribly wrong I go one way or the other..I make it repeatedly until I perfect it or I just move on to something else. Factors of influence include price and availability of ingredients required and my general mood…!
I was pretty determined to make a success of them this time round so I just put a bit more thought in to the batter mix and also made sure to have plenty of zucchini’s at hand should multiple attempts ensue!
They were incredibly tasty! I decided to use nutritional yeast and chickpea flour in the mix along with a flax egg and of course a whole heap of finely grated zucchini. Seasoning and little coriander and cumin and away you go! They took no time at all to whip up, were incredibly satisfying and the fact that I didn’t have to prepare multiple rounds was a bonus.
I served them up simply with a little garnish of mint and some soy yoghurt on the side for dipping. Such a simple supper that looked/felt/tasted like I’d spent a hell of a lot longer in the kitchen. Savoury pancakes could be my new evening staple…I see lots of different varieties hitting my plate in the near future!
In other news I officially became a Fitfluential Ambassador today!!!!
You might have notice the additional badge to the right!! Needless to say the email of acceptance fueled my early morning run. Can’t wait to get more involved, sharing more of my fitness finds, and providing more insight in to my overall approach to health, fitness and nutrition from the perspective of someone having suffered from eating disorders in the past.
You might have also noticed a new link to the left...click through and check it out! I will be explaining all in the next couple of days!
What’s your favourite savoury pancake/fritter?
Zucchini Fritter Cakes
Servings – 1 (4 medium fritters)
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 –10 minutes
- 1.5 cups finely grated zucchini (squeeze to remove excess water)
- 1/3 cup (40g) chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup (60ml) almond milk
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 cup (60ml) soy yoghurt to serve
- Mint to garnish
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side for 15 minutes.
- Mix together flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, spices, salt and pepper. Add flax egg to almond milk and stir well to combine.
- Wet goes in to dry, stir well to combine once more before adding in grated zucchini (drained of excess water!).
- Drop 1/4 cup measures of the batter in to a non stick pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. Serve garnish with mint and soy yoghurt.
*These reheat really well and are also delicious served chilled or at room temperature!