[donotprint] Ok so I shall be bouncing around in blackberries hopefully for at least the next few weeks but raspberries and blueberries are not quite so abundant; those that are now hitting the shop shelves don’t hold the same summer sunshine filled deliciousness and they’re also about twice the price as their summer sisters!
So in honour of all things berrilicious I decided to whip up the last of the more summery salads. I decided to give the Kabocha a little rest (emphasis on the little…I’ll more than likely be having some for dinner!)
It was the salad to rival all salads, it pretty much had it all. Roasted butternut squash, short grain wholegrain brown rice, radishes thinly sliced and beautiful berries, blueberry, blackberry and raspberry, mixed up with fresh mint and an orangey dressing.
A sprinkling of chopped almonds right the way through gave each mouthful a delightful bit of crunch. I was twixt and between using quinoa or brown rice as the base. I’ve been a whole lot of quinoa lately (I’ve a back long of recipes to share, what this space) and so opted for the slightly nutty, chewier grain.
With each spoonful (I did try to use a fork but I couldn’t get big enough mouthfuls in one go) came a wonderful new additional tasty surprise.
So many ingredients, so many beautiful colours, textures and flavours. It was one humungous bowlful. I usually cook more than enough for two people and then when I go to squeeze it in to my bowl or serve it up on a plate I inevitably have to set a little aside.
Of course I did the only thing any person in my shoes would do…I went and bought a few new bigger bowls!
A deliciously fresh yet incredibly filling and satisfying meal. I usually have to round off my meals with something sweet, be it fruit and soy yoghurt, or a spoonful of maple almond butter, but this one appeased on all counts.
Berries in slightly more savoury dish, yay or nay? [/donotprint]
Fruity Brown Rice Berry Salad
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1/3 cup uncooked short grain wholegrain brown rice
- 1/2 roasted diced butternut squash
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1/4 cup blackberries
- 1 peached diced
- 1/3 cup of cooked chickpeas
- 4 small radishes finely sliced
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- Fresh mint leaves to garnish
- 2 tbsp chopped raw almonds
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped mint
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cook rice according to packet instructions (I usually cook mine for about 30 minutes until nice and fluffy).
- Allow rice to cool before mixing with all other ingredients, reserving a little few chopped almonds to sprinkle over the top.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients, stirring well to combine.
- Serve topped with fresh mint and reserved almonds.