[donotprint] So today is my first day of “school”! I’m a little behind the school kids!
The nutritional therapy course I’m doing is partially distance learning, with lectures held once or twice a month over the course of a weekend so while all the rest of you spend your day chillaxing I’ll be back sitting in a classroom..of sorts
But before I head off I had to share the last of the recipes promised in this weeks What I Ate Wednesday Post…Chocolate Pumpkin Brownie Cakes. Not quite a cake, not quite a brownie…dense, rich, yet a little more fluffy than a brownie, if that makes any sense!
These were a bit of an experiment last week that almost went in to a brownie tray and then I decided last minute to divide the mixture up in to a muffin tray to avoid any pre bake slicing; another added bonus being I delve in to one almost as soon as they came out of the oven.
Once I’d taken a few obligatory photos to share first of course!!!
Before you get any ideas, as it did cross my mind but I thought the better of it, I didn’t use any of my beloved kabocha squash in these babies! Pumpkin puree from a jar went in the mix. Somewhat comparable to the muffin in a jar just because it was made up of the same sort of components but these are slight more dense, a little richer, less spongy and a teeny bit more luscious.
I gave half away to the “tasters”…my dad scoffed two, almost one after the other! My mum was also a fan though save hers for dessert though I did reprimand her for eating it with squirty cream…totally ruined!
I think I’ve been driving them, my family, demented sharing bits and pieces from the documentary viewing and The China Study reading but the tide is turning ever so slightly…veggie meals were consumed three days in a row last week! Baby steps…
This is another fool proof easy peasy pretty healthy recipe, quick to whip up, delicious as a snack, an after dinner treat or a pick me up breakfast when only chocolate will do!
Pumpkin and chocolate…such a good combo, maybe I should drizzle some Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter over my kabocha later today, anyone tried it? I can’t be the first to think of it surely!
Happy Saturday folks! I’ve just realised I need an new “school bag”…such a good excuse to go shopping, pity it will have to wait until Monday! [/donotprint]
Chocolate Pumpkin Brownie Cakes
Servings – 6 large brownie cakes
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120g) wholegrain spelt flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) Dutch unprocessed cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (125ml) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side for 15 minutes.
- Mix together cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and flour.
- In a separate bowl mix together flax egg once prepared with maple syrup, vanilla extract and pumpkin puree.
- Add wet to dry, mixing until everything is well combined.
- Divide mixture between six large muffin cases or straight in to a non stick tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. A little longer and they will be more cake like, a little less and they will be more fudgy in the centre!