The humungous bag of peanut flour from iHerb has come in mightily handy, allowing me to hold on to my PB2 for topping pancakes and what not. The peanut butter muffins are now officially gone, I grabbed my last one out of the freezer last night for an after dinner/bed time filler, though my peanut butter flour pancakes have made more than one reappearance.
I had planned to make peanut butter granola bars, using standard peanut butter and then I figured I might as well whip up some homemade peanut butter, simply whisking the flour with water to a soft peanut butter consistency for a high protein, lower fat addition to replace the traditional!
It worked a treat. What you see before you are peanut butter banana granola cookies. I had every intention of placing the mixture in to a tray but at the last minute decided to go with round cookie shapes, dividing the mix up in the nine indents in my silicon muffin tray (note one cookie went missing before photos were taken )
Out they popped without a bother, no waiting time for slicing, photos were taken and I could delve in straight away! A winning idea if I do say so myself.
There is nothing more frustrating than when you whip up what looks like an amazing tray of soon to be bars only to rush ahead, leaving yourself with a tray of crumbles, tasty no less, but still a bit of crumbly disaster.
Perfectly chewy, crispy on the outside with the delicious flavour of both peanut butter and banana; it really is the most wonderful combination, it just never gets old! I included some dried chewy banana pieces for even more texture and hit of banana flavour. They were a nice little addition. The only thing I would do differently if/when I make them again is I’d include some toasted peanuts for some added crunch!
All in all they were a wonderful little experiment and they make for an ideal snack to satisfy my equally demanding sweet and savoury teeth!
What’s your favourite peanut butter baked treat?
Peanut Butter Banana Granola Cookies
Servings – 9 cookies
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 2 cups jumbo oats
- 30g (1/4 cup) wholegrain spelt flour
- 60g peanut flour + 2-3 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extra
- 1/3 cup dried chewy banana
- 1/4 cup mashed/pureed banana
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together peanut flour and water until you have a thick smooth and creamy peanut butter consistency.
- Add peanut butter to maple syrup, mashed banana, and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
- Mix together flour and oats. Chop up dried chewy banana and fold in to the dry ingredients.
- Add in wet peanut butter mixture and stir everything together until the oats and flour and nice and evenly coated.
- Divide mixture up in to nine balls and using damp hands mould to form round cookies. Alternatively place balls of granola cookie mixture in to a non stick muffin tray (ideally silicon for easy removal) and press in to the bottom of each indent.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.