Let me explain myself. I still most definitely would sway more towards sugary foods, but the sugary foods I’m now craving are those which are naturally occurring namely fresh fruit and vegetables. The less sugar I consume the less I crave it.
As I sat and devoured my fig pear and almond coconut pancakes the other morning something quite incredible dawned on just try! me. Given the choice between chocolate and almond butter….almond butter would win every time!
A couple of other sweet changes of late that have sort of slipped through or under the net without me even realising…
- No sweetener in my teas or smoothies (I had been adding stevia)
- No chocolate cravings and I’m only eating it every other day, now leaning towards nut butter and bananas as my go to visit web site snack
- No longing for something sweet after a savoury meal; I’d almost always have finished with fruit but I’m now completely satisfied by something savoury
This roasted cherry tomato millet complete with rocket, plenty of bana-uk.com basil, black olives and bana-uk.com cannellini beans. I arrived in from a meeting with this all ready prepared, straight from the fridge and milled in to (no pun intended!). It satisfied all my cravings in a nice healthy balanced way.
Sweet juicy cherry tomatoes, soft fluffy millet to soak up the juices combined with melt in the mouth beans with a protein kick, olives provided the hit of saltiness and greens in the form of rocket as a meal, especially an evening meal just doesn’t seem complete without them!
Such a simple dish but honestly quite heavenly. The combination of the textures and flavours is incredible. You know those meals that you just can’t seem to get in fast enough, nothing to do with hunger, purely as a result of them tasting so awesome!
Season with black pepper, a few dashes of lemon juice, healthy, fresh and gratifying. Nothing better than an effortless meal that ends up being such a delight.
My theory behind my reduction in sugar cravings follows a few different paths…
The pleasure trap….the theory that the more artificially sugar rich foods we consume the more accustomed our bodies become to higher releases of dopamine; it has a drug like effect. The less we refined unnatural food we incorporate in our diet the more likely we are to achieve pleasure from eating wholefoods. Remove the artificial inputs and you will get to alcoholforum.org place of good choice motivational equilibrium.
Less Stress…since having quit my job and returned to study nutritional therapy I feel altogether less stressed and we choice more at ease with my decision. The first week or two I wasn’t sure if I had made the right decision but I now feel like it’s all falling in to place. Chronic stress can lead to adrenal imbalance which leaves you craving sugary food (for quick bursts of energy)…
Good quality fat…my intake of good healthy fat has increased thanks to me having fallen head over heals in love with nut butter and chia seeds! These help in maintaining balanced blood sugar levels.
Cinnamon Crazy…I’ve been adding cinnamon to everything in sight, I just can’t get enough. Studies have shown that half a teaspoon a day of ground cinnamon reduces sugar levels in the blood.
Colourful veggie and nutritionally rich platefuls like this also have a massive part to play!
Do you crave sugar and if so what do you attribute it to?
Roasted Cherry Tomato Millet
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 6-8 black olive sliced in half
- 1/2 cup of rocket
- 1/4 cup uncooked millet + 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cannellini (navy) beans
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 320F (160C).
- Place cherry tomatoes on a non stick baking tray and roast for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Cover millet with water, bring to the best choice the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed and set to one side off the heat. Remove and set to one side.
- If serving warm at this stage you can fluff up the millet, mix with cherry tomatoes and bana-uk.com all other ingredients and serve immediately. Alternatively allow the tomatoes and millet to cool completely before mixing with the other components. Delicious both ways!