I’ve been falling in to some bad habits of late, namely since quitting work, getting up at that little bit later, staying up longer at night as a result and wasting time which could be put to much better use so I’m starting this week on the right foot and kick starting my new plan of action which involves the following…
- Going to the gym at 7am on the mornings it opens this early (Monday, Wednesday & Friday)…
- Eating more whipped oats….comforting, filling and whipped up in no time (pun totally intended!)
- Laying my head to rest by 10pm at the latest…the dark nights make it a hell of a lot easier!
- Carrying my course books with me and reading at every spare given opportunity
Aside from the better utilisation of my time and getting more sleep I also recognised that I need to schedule in some down time.
Now for most people this might happen quite naturally but I’ve always been the sort of person that finds it difficult to switch off. Since starting the blog I’ve but every bit of spare time I have in to it…because it’s what I love doing! The cooking, the photography, being part of the food and fitness blogging community…. LOVE IT!
That said I need to learn to take some time out. So from here on in I’m having at least one night a week where I officially switch off from all things internet and blogging related….we’ll see how that one goes!
So back to one of the most important elements of my new plan of action…the best part of not having to head to an office in the morning….warm and creamy whipped oats!!! The blackberry whipped oats, the first whipped oats to grace my pallet a couple of weeks back left me longing for more. The Autumn chill has officially set in so there is nothing more comforting that a big bowl of comfort food first thing in the morning; or in my case post workout!
You know it’s cold out when you step out of the gym, red faced and as sweaty as a pig and instantly feel cold!
The latest bowl of oats were nothing short of fantastic! Banana, Peanut Butter and “Jelly” whipped oats! Fresh strawberries and a quick strawberry sauce took the place of the “jelly” component and filled the void quite fantastically. A big dollop of PB2 on top, made a little more runny than usual was the ideal consistency for stirring through the fruity banana oats.
Topped off with a sprinkling of bee pollen…the end result was nothing short of powerful!
The combination of peanut butter, banana and fresh strawberries..never gets old.
What’s your favourite whipped oats bowl?
Have you been falling in to any bad habits this Autumn (Fall!) ?
Peanut Butter Banana Jelly Whipped Oats
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 minutes
- 1/4 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch + 1/2 tsp water
- 1/2 cup (50g) jumbo oats
- 125ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 1 small banana finely sliced
- 1 tsp bee pollen
- 2 tbsp PB2 mixed with 3 tbsp water (or 2 tbsp Peanut Butter)
- Place strawberries and water with maple syrup in a pot. Bring to boiling point and reduce to a simmer. Once disintegrated blend to a smooth puree using a hand blender.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water and add to the strawberry puree. Return to the heat and whisk for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Set to one side.
- Place oats, almond milk and water in a pot, bring to the boil, simmer and stir for 5 minutes. Add in sliced banana and beat until most of the chunks melt away. Stir through strawberries, reserving a couple of slices for on top.
- Serve topped with PB2 or peanut butter, strawberry jam/sauce and sprinkled with bee pollen!