Ok not quite, but I know which one I’d rather have! I’ve been on a socca loving kick lately, making every possible variety under the sun, some more successful than others, most notably this one hence it’s the first one I’ve decided to share
A good thick socca that remains light and fluffy and offers at least one of your five a day before you even get to toppings.
Plain and simple socca has such a wonderful flavour all of it’s own. The distinctive flavour of chickpea flour….I just can’t get enough of it! I gave it a boost on this occasion by mixing it up with ground cauliflower and nutritional yeast, along with a flax egg to work it’s binding magic.
Fibre, protein, healthy fat, a hit of B vitamins, folic acid…and it’s hella tasty! It’s the bread, somewhat cake like pizza base that has it all!
I topped off the super duper base with zucchini noodles, grilled peaches, toasted flaked almonds and drizzle of a quick vegan cheesy sauce (of course inspired by my salad from last week!)
So simple, so fresh…all the components can be prepared allowing you to quickly assemble it as and when you fancy. It’s delicious cold and reheats perfectly. The base can return to the oven, the peaches can get a quick heating alongside it, allowing your zucchini noodles to sit nicely crisp on top.
You can make a bigger batch than necessary of the cheese sauce as you fancy. The recipe below makes about twice the amount you’ll need, but feel free to drown it in a bit more!
A little trick for the grilled peaches. They have a terrible habit of loosing their colour. As soon as you’ve grilled them rinse under cold water and place in a seal tight container with a spoonful of lemon juice. They will remain beautiful and bright as if they’ve just been sliced as opposed to the otherwise slight brown less than lively slices you’ll be left with.
Extremely filling, wonderfully satisfying deep dish socca…it could possibly serve two but I made it through quite comfortably!
What’s your favourite alternative pizza like base?
Cauliflower Deep Dish Socca with Zucchini & Peaches
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup ground raw cauliflower
- 1/2 cup (60g) chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 large or 2 medium peaches sliced
- 1 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup (180ml) almond milk
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side for 15 minutes until “eggy”.
- Whisk together chickpea flour, water, nutritional yeast and seasoning. Blend using a hand blender to remove any remaining lumps.
- Stir in cauliflower and flax egg before pour in a lined loose bottom 8 inch cake tin.
- Baked in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile place peach slices in to a non stick griddle pan and cook on either side for 3-4 minutes. Set to one side until ready to serve. If serving later on in the day submerge in cold water before placing in a seal tight container with a spoonful of lemon juice. Toss to ensure the slices are coated.
- Peel away strips of the zucchini to create noodles using a vegetable peeler.
- Blend together cheese sauce ingredients before placing in a pot over a medium heat, stirring for 5 minutes until desired consistency.
- Serve socca topped with zucchini noodles, peach slices, toasted flaked almonds and a drizzle of about half the sauce. The remainder will last in the fridge for 2-3 days.