Not a pancake did grace my plate over the past weekend seen as I was back in the classroom both days so come Tuesday I was well and truly due my fill. I really wanted to give the Bob’s Red Mill Quinoa Flour a go yet at the same time I had such a craving for sweet coconut flour.
The solution was simple…use both! The mixture made for the most incredible pancakes! Thick, fluffy, sweet and nutty, lightly browned and topped with grilled peaches, blueberries, chia seeds and creamy cashew butter!
Well worth the extended wait!
The quinoa flour and coconut flour really worked well together. Gluten and wheat free pancakes never tasted so good!
Packed full of fibre thanks to the coconut flour, with a bit of an extra protein hit from the quinoa flour, the perfect balance to keep me full until lunch time. The dollop of cashew nut butter on each also had a part of play!
The richness of cashew nut butter is delicious with peaches and blueberries. I almost went down the almond butter route out of habit but it’s nice to mix it up a bit. I can’t wait to get experimenting a bit more with the the quinoa flour. I wasn’t sure if the coconut flour would stand a chance to shine through it’s sometimes overwhelming and distinct nuttiness but they balanced each other out wonderfully.
I’m loving the sprinkling of chia seeds over my pancakes of late. I wasn’t sure how it work, whether they would end up going missing, but as soon as you spread the nut butter love it cements the chia seeds, dispersing them nice and evenly across the top of the pancakes.
As I write up this post I’m sitting here not long after dinner coming up with another pancake recipe to whip up for myself tomorrow morning. Nothing like talking about pancakes, editing pancake photos and sharing the wonders of the latest experiment to leave you craving a massive plateful.
I’ll happily give up my fluffy pillow for another plate full of the edible version tomorrow morning!!!!
What’s your favourite gluten free flour to make pancakes with? Every time I discover another my “favourite flour” list just gets that bit longer! Bob’s Red Mill is by far my favourite brand, they just have such an awesome range.
Quinoa Coconut Flour Pancakes
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 8-10 minutes
- 40g (1/3 cup) quinoa flour
- 20g (1.5 tbsp) coconut flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 small banana
- 125ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp cashew nut butter
- 1 peach sliced and grilled
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- Maple syrup
- Blend together all pancake batter ingredients until smooth.
- Place 1/3 cup measure of the batter in to a non stick pan over a medium heat. Spread out to form nice even medium sized pancakes using the back of a spoon.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes before flipping and cooking for a further 4-5 minutes on the other side.
- Serve topped with a dollop of cashew nut butter one on each, sprinkle with coconut and chia seeds and lay your peach slices and blueberries wherever you please! Drizzle with maple syrup for an extra hit of sweetness.