Quinoa chocolate protein breakfast bake! I attempted to make this in the oven on the first round but it came out a little flat and not particularly inviting. I decided to give it another go in the microwave and the result was incredible!
It rose beautifully! Squidgy baked banana running within, a delicious rich chocolate taste, soft, moist, light and altogether my idea of heaven in a bowl; or a ramekin!
A mixture of quinoa flower and Vanilla Sunwarrior Protein powder along with some raw cacao powder formed the base. The combination was awesome, the protein powder providing just enough sweetness and really complimenting and softening the flavour of both the quinoa flour and raw cacao powder perfectly.
I wasn’t sure whether or not to stick a chocolate nut butter on top but at the last minute went with SunButter. SunButter and chocolate cake…AMAZING! They go so well together! The smooth runny SunButter oozed down in to the bake with every spoonful that I devoured.
It was lip licking good; I did my best to savour every bite but it was damn hard. Seriously good enough to serve up for dessert but probably a little too filling after a main meal. The protein powder gave the bake the extra bit of staying powder that they sometimes lack.
Easy on the tummy, even easier on the eye and a delight for the tastebuds! I haven’t been using a whole lot of protein powder of late, smoothie season has largely come to an end in these parts, but instant bakes are the perfect way to get my fill.
I’ll definitely be making more of these; different varieties of course. I am the experimental flavour combination queen after all….even if they don’t always work out! HAVE to order more SunButter and Bobs Red Mill Quinoa Flour this week!!! Two new staples! What did I ever do without iHerb!?!
What’s your favourite instant bake variety? In the past I’ve always stuck with buckwheat flour and buckwheat groats, which don’t be get me wrong, is delicious, but it’s nice to switch things up a bit!
Instant Chocolate Quinoa Protein Bake
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 2.5 minutes
- 35g (1/4 cup) wholegrain quinoa flour
- 1 heaped tsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 scoop (21g) Vanilla Sunwarrior Protein Powder
- 1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp water
- 80ml (1/3 cup) almond milk
- 1/2 small banana diced (reserve the rest for topping)
- 1 tbsp SunButter
- 1/2 tsp coconut
- 1 heaped tsp bee pollen
- 1 tsp raw cacao nibs
- Other half of your banana sliced
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side for 15 minutes.
- Mix together protein powder, flour, cacao powder, and baking powder.
- Add flax egg to milk and stir well to combine before adding to the dry ingredients.
- Fold in diced banana.
- Place mixture in to a lightly greased medium sized ramekin. Make sure to leave fingernail depth right the way around to give it room to rise!
- “Bake” in the microwave on high powder for 2.5 minutes.
- Serve topped with raspberries, sliced banana, coconut, bee pollen, cacao nibs and SunButter!