The price doesn’t put me off one bit, they are totally worth it. That said, they aren’t on my weekly shopping list and are definitely considered a treat. Of course they also have their time and place and we’re currently coming to the end of the good fig season. Buying them in a couple of weeks time wouldn’t be worth the money as they will be no were near as delicious.
I’m making the most of them while I can get my hands on them…
I have a delicious savoury dish coming your way this afternoon. It’s fig-tastic!!!!
First up however was one of the most delicious most decadent bowl of whipped oats ever. Roasted diced cinnamon pears and figs, toasted almonds, almond butter, a little almond extract in my oats along with almond milk and smashed banana…..almond and fig lovers dream to say the least!
I love how the figs become so incredibly jammy after less than 10 minutes of roasting. They’re just perfectly ripe, beautifully pink and extremely difficult to resist. Driving home with a bag full of organic fresh juicy figs in the passenger seat I may have had to have just one to cure my curiosity and appetite for the little gems!
I went with raw almond butter on top as the figs were just sweet enough, I didn’t want to mess with them! The toasted almonds were a delicious and highly recommended addition. There is nothing like a warm comforting bowl of oats on a chilly morning….nothing better that is than those which contain such an array of my favourite ingredients.
Favourite fruit of the moment….figs no question! They win hands down. The combination of fig and pear works wonderfully and is in my eyes at least a classic. And sure it is pear season after all, no better time of year to be putting them to good use.
What fruit do you treasure the most and is your ultimate oat add in?
Fig Pear and Almond Whipped Oats
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup (50g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (250ml) almond milk
- 1/2 banana mashed
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 small figs sliced in half
- 1/2 medium pear diced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Drop of almond extract (not essence!)
- 1 tbsp raw almond butter
- 1 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Coat diced pear in cinnamon and place on a non stick baking alongside the fig halves (reserve a few slices for topping) in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile place flaked almonds in a dry pan and toss for 2-3 minutes over a medium heat to toast; set to one side.
- Cover oats with almond milk, bring to the boil, and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Add in almond extract, banana and chia seeds and whisk for a couple of minutes until banana is perfectly incorporated.
- Stir diced pear and figs in to the oats, holding back some pear for topping, along with a few slices of uncooked fig. Serve with almond butter and toasted almonds.