My appetite for pumpkin will never be truly satisfied. The more I eat the more my heart (and belly!) desires!
Pasta wouldn’t be my first though when I think of pumpkin. I associate it more with big bowls of delicious chili, or cheesy bowls of pearl barley! For some unknown reason I had a yearning for some pasta, wheat free spelt of course, and decided that it being tossed with roasted pumpkin was the only way to go.
Rather than lather it sauce which can of course be incredibly delicious (clearly I was forgetting about this dish!), I went down the texture route. Combining the al dente pasta with a little coconut oil to keep it from getting sticky, I mixed through diced sweet roasted pumpkin and steamed chopped kale.
Topped off with a mixture of pecan nuts and nutritional yeast providing a nutritional boost and incredible flavour. I also tossed through some dried chili flakes for a bit of kick as well as some fresh thyme…meals tend not to feel complete without a some fresh herbs, nothing lifts a dish more. I’ve been having some better luck with growing my own of late; thanks to to periodic watering by my Dad! I simply don’t have the mind to remember such tasks!
The combination was incredible!!!
Of course anything with roasted pumpkin is already on the home straight in terms of it’s likelihood of pleasing my tastebuds but this really was damn tasty. It came together in no time; the only slightly laborious task was dicing the pumpkin but it was made all the more straightforward and less time consuming by leaving the skin on. I love the skin on pumpkin; butternut squash not so much!
A simple healthy colourful seasonal dish for all the pumpkin lovers out there or anyone you’re trying to convert! Just make sure you pick up a nice sweet pumpkin that will be sure to delight.
What’s your favourite simple healthy pasta dish?
Roasted Pumpkin Chili Pasta
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup (60g) uncooked wholegrain spelt fusilli pasta
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup diced pumpkin (skin and all!)
- 1/3 cup steamed/blanched chopped kale
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tbsp pecans
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Place diced pumpkin on a non stick baking tray and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, tossing at least once half way through.
- Cover pasta with boiling water and cook for 8 minutes.
- Whizz together nutritional yeast and pecans in a coffee grinder or food processor to form a coarse crumb.
- Steam or blanch kale. I poured boiling water over the leaves in colander three times before rinsing in cold water and chopping.
- Drain cooked pasta, add in pumpkin, chili flakes, cooked kale, coconut oil and thyme. Toss well to combine.
- Serve topped with pecan and nutritional yeast crumb; thyme to garnish.