Sunday Staple

by Peachy Palate on October 28, 2012

Do you have any Sunday rituals? I remember as a child our Sunday’s always formed the same sort of pattern. Myself and my brother would get up a little earlier than my parents and watch a movie or cartoons before breakfast; as we got older we’d help ourselves to some cereal.

A second round of breakfast, occasionally featuring the odd egg or the weekend slice of toast (it cereal all the way during the week) was eaten at the breakfast table. We sometimes went to mass, it was a regular habit when I was part of the church choir! We were also massively in to ten pin bowling and played both Saturday and Sunday mornings for the best part of three years.

It was the one day of the week that more often than not my mum would get some time away from the kitchen. We either have a trip to McDonalds, a takeaway in the evening or sometimes visit my Grans for dinner.

God how times have changed! Now Sundays are all over the place! There is only one consistency to them…it being pancakes! Having anything other than pancakes just doesn’t feel right and I’ve been having them almost religiously (no pun intended it being Sunday, the Sabbath day and all!) since I started the blog over a year ago! Before then I hadn’t really started to introduce new and exciting foods in to my diet post eating disorder.

It took a while to perfect them, consistently trying new flour mixes, fruit toppings and what have you but I can officially say that pumpkin pancakes are by far my all time favourite!

The texture is just awesome! Light, soft yet sturdy, almost like a delicious cake but in pancake form! It’s so hard to describe but I know anyone who’s ever had pumpkin pancakes will know what I mean.

If you haven’t had them you simply need to make up a batch! NOW! Go on, right now! Even if you’re reading this well past breakfast time, pancakes are the indulgence that can be enjoyed any time of the day!

The last patch of pumpkin pancakes I made I used coconut flour and I’ve been doing a bit of experimenting with different combinations since. These beautiful babies were whipped up using a mixture of quinoa and buckwheat flour. Quinoa flour never seems to fail me (Bob’s Red Mill don’t you know all the way from iHerb.com!) on the pancake front – remember these ones…they now feature as my Twitter profile background! That’s how much I loved them!

I went with a stack, piling my 3 hefty pumpkin pancakes one on top of the other, topped with chia seeds, SunButter and coconut along with some seared banana and blackberries. That’s a plate of heaven right there.

I think it’s nice to have a sense of commonality to at least one day in every seven and pancakes are the way to go; whatever happens after I can roll with! Smile

Is there something you do or eat or somewhere you go every Sunday that you don’t every other day of the week?

Vegan Pumpkin Quinoa Flour Pancakes

Print this easy peasy recipe Print this easy peasy recipe

Servings – 1 (3 medium pancakes)

Preparation Time – 5 minutes

• 1 medium banana sliced in to four
  • 1/2 cup blackberries
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • 1 tsp desiccated coconut
  • 2 tbsp SunButter

Directions

1. Blend together all pancake batter ingredients.
  2. Place 1/3 cup measures of the batter in to a non stick pan/skillet and spread out to form 3 medium pancakes using the back of a spoon.
  3. Allow to cook on the first side for 4-5 minutes over a low to medium heat before flipping and cooking for a further 3 minutes on the opposite side.
  4. Place pancakes on your plate, and quickly sear your banana pieces in the same pan. Top pancakes with SunButter, sprinkle with chia seeds, coconut and serve with warm seared banana and fresh blackberries.

Anna @AnnaTheApple October 28, 2012 at 10:36 am

I’m totally obsessed with pumpkin pancakes at the moment! And always on a Sunday :)

Peachy Palate October 28, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Here here!

Alexia @ NamasteYoga October 28, 2012 at 10:49 am

i am totally obsessed with pumpkin too at the moment but havent tried pumpkin pancakes yet. i have made soup, curries, chili and oatmeal with it though! sunday breakfasts should b really enjoyed and i often used to just eat whatever i can find and start the day slow and lazy.. i am now way more active and enjoying my long and slow breakfasts while taking care of my body and nourishing with AMAZING food :)

Peachy Palate October 28, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Oh my God you have to try pumpkin pancakes!!!!

kristle October 28, 2012 at 12:59 pm

oh my gosh i can’t wait to defrost my pumpkin puree and make these. i’ve been hoping for a good pumpkin pancake recipe :) usually on the weekend i’ll make a more time consuming breakfast such as a new pancake or baked oatmeal, seeing as during the week its mostly oats every day. this morning i’ve got angela’s oatmeal stuffed baked apples in the oven!

Peachy Palate October 28, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Your goana love em! Ooh they looked good, let me know if they were amazing as they looked!

kristle October 29, 2012 at 3:24 pm

they are really yummy, i shared some w my boyfriends mother and she said it was elegant. when i made angela’s individual baked oatmeal jars they came out a little dry, not at all moist and yummy like this time!

Peachy Palate October 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Sounds good! Will have to give em a try!

Luv What You Do October 28, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Wow! Those look incredible! I love pumpkin pancakes.

Peachy Palate October 28, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Nothing beats em!

lucy October 28, 2012 at 3:11 pm

They look so yummy, there making me hungry!

I’ve never cooked with pumpkins (shock horror! i know) to be honest i wouldnt know were to start i’ve seen so many recipes with pumpkin they all look so delicous, i dont thing i would be able to chose!

Peachy Palate October 28, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Can you get pumpkin puree? If not just roast up a pumpkin and puree it! :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 28, 2012 at 5:31 pm

The bad thing about food blogging: It makes me so hungry! These pancakes are definitely doing it for me. I am going to have to make these soon!

Peachy Palate October 28, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Do! And let me know if you fall madly in love! They’re so good! :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 28, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I had pancakes this weekend too. They are definitely a must for the weekend!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli November 2, 2012 at 2:59 am

WOW! I can’t believe how fluffy they turned out with just flour, milk, and pumpkin! That’s incredible! That first pic is mouth-watering!

Peachy Palate November 2, 2012 at 9:39 am

I know, who needs eggs! (Of course I would say that but with pumpkin pancakes so few ingredients are needed!)