There is something about the combination of chickpea flour with veggies baked that is incredibly eggy, but in the best way possible! I was never a fan of the intense flavour of eggs, not their consistency but after the success of my chickpea frittata a few weeks back I decided to give another egg like meal a whirl.
I obviously didn’t want to make these mini quiches sweet. I was going for something structured, yet soft and fluffy, a little crisp on the outside…it was an experiment that worked out fantastically well! The consistency was spot on! I will admit when they came out of the oven in my silicon muffin tray I was extremely tempted to pop them out their and then. After a little nudge they moved away from the edges but not quite enough for me to want to go straight in full power. I waited my patience and allowed them to cool.
They popped out beautifully in one piece! I had a nibble of them cold and they were delicious, and they also reheated wonderfully. I’m not sure which I preferred…hot or cold. They soften up every so slightly more when served warm.
Each one was packed with peas, peppers, corn and zucchini, seasoned with salt, pepper, a little turmeric and nutritional yeast for a hint of cheesiness.
They would make for such a great alternative to pack in kids lunch boxes! You could put in whatever veggies you think you might get away with. The sweet corn and peas I’m sure would be crowd pleasers as they provide just a hint of natural sweetness as well as bit of texture to the completed quiche.
Super duper easy to whip up, they are now a firm favourite of mine; I can see them in a picnic basket next Summer!
What’s your favourite vegan “egg” like dish?
Mini Vegan Cornbread Quiche
Servings – 1 – 3 mini quiches
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 –25 minutes
- 1/4 cup (30g) cornmeal
- 1/3 cup (40g) chickpea flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 2/3 cup (180ml) water
- 1/3 cup diced red pepper
- 1/3 cup sweet corn (tinned or frozen)
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 small zucchini finely grated
- Fresh mint/basil to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side for 10-15 minutes; until “eggy” in consistency.
- Mix together chickpea flour, baking soda, cornmeal, salt, pepper, mustard, nutritional yeast, turmeric and paprika.
- Add dry ingredient to the water and whisk until smooth or blend using a hand blender or food processor.
- While waiting for the flax egg place finely diced pepper, corn and peas on a pan with a drop of water and allow to sizzle for a few minutes!
- Add in flax egg to the batter ingredients and stir well to combine. Next in goes the zucchini, again mixing well to combine.
- Divide the mixture between three indents in a non stick large muffin tray (mine has 6 muffin holes in total!)
- Divide the veggies between each quiche, dropping spoonfuls gently in to the batter sitting in the muffin tray. Press lightly to submerge.
- Place the muffin tray in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the tray. Serve immediately or enjoy cold. They’re the perfect picnic basket or lunch box filler!