Tofu to Swoon Over

by Peachy Palate on November 5, 2012

Every so often I get this incredible longing for tofu. It’s like the savoury equivalent of a chocolate craving! One I’d probably get for pumpkin if I didn’t have it every day of the week!

I have a tendency to over complicate things…getting messy with coating, sauces and cooking methods when sometimes a simple pressing and sit in the oven does tofu just wonders.

Of course a delicious creamy sauce is never passed up, but I love it even more when said sauce only takes a matter of minutes to whisk up.

Thanks to the wonder that is PB2 this beautiful plateful of tofu, roasted squash and wilted spinach was adorned with a rich, peanutty sauce which made something quite simple, incredibly tasty and a true delight. Introducing new flavours doesn’t have to mean hassle, time or a whole lot of thought.

I assess what I’m longing for, check what ingredients I have at hand and give combining them a whirl and more often than not it works out quite well. This was one of those occasions!

The peanut sauce had just a little bit of a kick, the squash beneath soaking up the sauce as it dripped through the crevices. Smothered tofu…there is no better way to describe it. Just as it started to brown and get a little crisp I whipped it from the oven so that it would still retain a light softness in the middle.

By the time I got around to eating it a little reheating was required…can you see the difficulty that presented itself to me….

A long rectangle plate doesn’t fit in a standard microwave, no matter which way you twist and turn it! I ended up nibbling on some warm which was good but seen as it was a chilly day I destroyed the beautiful plate and scooped it on to a more suitable round plate! It looked a little messy but tasted incredible!

Note to self- if taking photos on my rectangle plate make sure it’s a cold dish or hasten up the photo taking! Smile

What’s your favourite simple tofu sauce?

Creamy Dreamy Peanut Tofu with Roasted Butternut Squash and Spinach

Print this easy peasy recipe Print this easy peasy recipe

Servings – 1

Preparation Time – 5 minutes

Cooking Time – 25 minutes

Ingredients

Tofu & Squash

• 1/2 a block of tofu, pressed and sliced
  • 2 tsp coconut oil
  • 1 cup butternut squash diced
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • Fresh mint chopped to garnish

Peanut Sauce

• 2 heaped tbsp PB2
  • 3 tbsp water
  • 1/2 tbsp lime juice
  • 1/2 tbsp liquid aminos
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
  2. Coat squash in 1 tsp coconut oil (melted). Use the other tsp of coconut oil to coat the tofu.
  3. Lay tofu and squash side by side and back in the oven for 25 minutes.
  4. Toss the squash half way through cooking.
  5. Meanwhile whisk together sauce ingredients. Place in a pot and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes to heat through.
  6. Just before serving place spinach in a colander and pour over a small amount of boiling water to wilt. Mix with roasted squash and season with salt and pepper.
  7. Serve tofu laid out on top of squash and wilted spinach, sauce over the top and sprinkled with fresh chopped mint.

Anna @AnnaTheApple November 5, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I don’t really eat tofu that often but looking at these pictures I’m thinking I need to buy some! I love the sound of that sauce as well. Nom nom nom.

Peachy Palate November 5, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I’m such a big tofu fan….at least once a week these days!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 5, 2012 at 9:32 pm

This looks awesome! I am a big fan of tofu…which is so crazy to type because I used to be afraid of it. Silly me! ;)

Peachy Palate November 5, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I was too! :)

Tina @ Best Body Fitness November 5, 2012 at 10:35 pm

This is without a doubt tofu to swoon over! I’ve been avoiding soy bec of the thyroid stuff, but man alive, I just may have to make an exception for this one.

Peachy Palate November 6, 2012 at 8:13 am

Perhaps you could make it with tempeh? They say soy that is fermented and that hasn’t been genetically modified is a lot safer… :) Glad you liked it and appreciate the comment!

Alexia November 6, 2012 at 9:31 am

i love me a good tofu dish! this one definitely hit the spot… and guess what.. i was having a quite similar lunch bowl yesterday. A TON of butternut squash and some cubed tofu plus a nice pb2+tamarind dressing. so yummy, i also dont seem to get enough of it!

kristle November 10, 2012 at 1:36 am

i definitely want to make this this weekend! i just used up my pb2 though, i’m sure i could figure out how to make it with regular, right?

Peachy Palate November 10, 2012 at 9:27 am

Ye definitely just melt the peanut butter a little to make it easier to incorporate!

kristle November 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm

i ended up buying more pb2, actually its by a brand called Just Great Stuff i think. it’s still defatted peanuts, they use coconut sugar instead of regular sugar though. i have probably only made tofu maybe 2 times this year, 3 tops! i don’t know why i don’t enjoy it more often. i really liked this dish! the sauce is so yummy :) i see more tofu in my future

Emilia November 11, 2012 at 10:08 am

Beautiful, beautiful meal! There is nothing on that plate that I don’t adore :) I’ve never really thought about buying PB2 before — not really sure what I would do with it — but I might have to now, using it in a peanut sauce is brilliant! What a great way to get that peanuty flavor without it being too heavy.

Peachy Palate November 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Definitely and it’s great in smoothies too!