[donotprint] It’s been too long since I whipped up a brownie. I haven’t been craving chocolate all that much lately; favouring banana bread as my sweet treat!
I decided to revisit a veggie packed brownie that I was happy with the first time around but would have been happier had they been a bit BIGGER! They were a little on the thin side for my liking leaving me wanting another.
This time I added in some more flour, more zucchini and changed some steps in the preparation. The only problem now being that I’m not sure which ones I prefer. I guess it’s a bit silly to call it a problem….anything that involves brownies should only have a positive ring to it.
Twice the veggie brownie goodness is always a good thing. These ones are thicker, a little more dense and fudge like, slightly less chocolaty but more satisfying owing to their more appeasing size.
The blended zucchini created a different texture, a slightly more melt in the mouth brownie. You can feel so smug eating these brownies and so you should; they’re pretty damn healthy for a sweet treat. I have a tendency not to go all out on the sugar, my sweet tooth having been adjusted. You could of course add more to these brownies but if you feel they need a bit more sweetness why not just add a little chocolate nut butter or cashew would be an ideal option if you want to give them even more staying power and an almost caramel like topping!
Nothing frustrates me more than when I come across an amazing looking baked good online only to find that there are a monumental amount of ingredients required, as well as an equally lengthy extensive process to create whatever the delicious looking and sounding master piece might be. From 3-6 flours, a few varieties of sugar, soaking or having to prepare things in a specific way… those are the recipes I avoid like the plague!
These brownies are super simple to whip up, it can all be done in your food processor if you like, bish bash bosh, whack the mix in a tray, allow to cool just a little; though they actually slice up quite well straight from the oven and away you go! I made this version gluten free, using buckwheat and quinoa flour but I’m sure they would work just fine using just one of the two!
What’s your favourite veggie packed sweet treat recipe? [donotprint]
Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Brownies Round 2
Servings – 9 Large Brownies
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 – 25 minutes
- 2 cups finely grated zucchini (squeeze to remove excess water)
- 1/2 cup (60g) Dutch unprocessed cocoa powder
- 1 cups (120g) wholegrain buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) wholegrain quinoa flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (125ml) almond milk
- 1/4 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unrefined cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together cocoa, flour and baking powder.
- Puree banana, almond milk, finely grated zucchini and cane sugar using a hand blender or food processor.
- Add wet to dry and give everything a good mix to ensure evenly combined before folding in chocolate chips.
- Place brownie mixture in to a non stick 8 * 8 inch tray and bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes. The cooking time may vary depending on the oven used, the moisture left in the zucchini and how soft you want your brownie. I cooked mine in a gas oven for 20 minutes having drained my zucchini quite well which resulted in a soft fudgy brownie.