Blueberries and Banana, Banana and Blueberries…the two just sing together! I’ve officially turned in to a banana bread nut! I just can’t get enough of it! I
After the success of the banana amaranth walnut bread and the equally delightful quinoa buckwheat cacao nib loaf I decided now better experiment than to throw in some fresh berries and make a cornbread variety. Blueberry Banana Cornbread with a coconut twist! I absolutely love Bobs Red Mill Coconut flour and now that I’m well and truly stocked up thanks to a monumental order from iHerb I’m making use of it at every given opportunity.
If there is one thing I love almost as much as I love banana bread it’s cornbread; my super duper easy cake like cornbread is a must if you haven’t tried it! I used a mixture of the ingredients and ratios for the cornbread and those which I’ve used for previous banana breads with my instant blueberry cornbread bake in the back of my mind…
(Just look at how golden it is, it was begging to be sliced!)
The perfect mix of sweet and savoury with delicious burst of blueberry juicy goodness throughout! Absolutely heavenly. Soft in the middle, a little crisp on the outside, crumbly and almost creamy thanks to banana and coconut flour combo…spread with cashew nut butter its the banana cornbread lovers dream come true a.k.a mine! The predominant flavours are actually the banana and coconut flour, though there is a subtle hint of cornbread and the buckwheat flour just holds the whole thing together!
It sliced up beautifully and drew the attention of my Dad; he’s recently fallen madly in love with blueberries, not that he’d describe his like for them in quite the same way I’m sure!
Eight thick slices, a couple for freezing, the rest devoured; I’ve already defrost one of the two leftovers since Tuesday. I’ll try hand on to the last for when a craving hits! In the meantime I’ll have to get my baking cap on again. I’m steadily running out of my baked good stash! I’ve been more substantial snacks at night time and I’ve been eating my way through what lingers in my freezer. It is Friday after all and it’s become a bit of a tradition (if the last year is a valid tradition forming time!) that I whip up something tasty over the weekend!
This banana bread is not overly sweet, ideal for a breakfast or a healthy snack and (as mentioned above just in case you missed it…) fantastic with some cashew nut butter! Positively dreamy! FYI – this was actually my second attempt. I made a cornbread and buckwheat version a couple of weeks back but in hindsight it was just a little too dry. This one is perfecto!
Have you ever made a sweet fruity cornbread? Link up your recipes below! [/donotprint]
Coconut Cornmeal Blueberry Banana Bread
Servings – 8 thick slices
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 35- 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup (60g) cornmeal
- 1 cup (120g) wholemeal buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup (100g) unrefined cane sugar
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1 cup (250ml) almond milk
- 2 tbsp flax + 6 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix together first four (dry ingredients) in a bowl.
- Blend together milk, unrefined cane sugar and mashed banana. Stir in flax once it’s turned “eggy”.
- Add wet to dry and mix everything together until well incorporated.
- Fold in fresh or frozen blueberries..gently does it!
- Place in a lightly greased/lined or non stick 2lb loaf tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes; until a toothpick inserted comes out ALMOST clean! It might seem a little under done but to get the perfect banana bread consistency I air on the side of under done caution!