I’ve dabbled with tempeh in the past but never quite fallen in love to the same extent. The dense texture didn’t appeal to me as much and I couldn’t quite get to grips with the flavour. I’d only ever purchased the jarred kind. The other day I almost jumped for joy when I saw a refrigerated block in The Happy Pear. Nothing fills my heart with more joy than finding a new ingredient to play around with
I also loved the fact that it was one solid block which I could make the most of rather than random sized pieces that are sometimes less than pretty and end up proving a bit tricky to slice.
I picked up some amazing oranges in the store the other day. The kind that the juice drips through your fingers leaving them incredibly sticky after only managing to eat one segment.
I got a craving for a sticky orange sauce…random maybe…delicious..YES!!! It was everything I could have wished for and some and worked incredibly well with the tempeh. A simple quick nutritious meal packed full of flavour.
After the slightly heavier meal earlier on in the day (the shepherd-less pie for those of you who missed it!) this was the perfect balance of protein and grain, not overly laden with veggies, light on the tummy, and plate licking good. I didn’t want the tempeh to end, I could have eaten it another plateful but in hindsight I was left nicely satisfied..with a nice bit of room for dessert.
Tempeh is incredibly appeasing without you even realising it. I never feel immediately full upon eating it but hunger is kept at bay a hell of a lot longer than when I consume a tofu laden meal. That dense texture, the rich whole soy bean is one hell of a protein for hunger to contend with!
Simple sautéed tempeh, sizzled in the orange sauce, the remainder thickened with a little arrowroot and served alongside some of the much adored short grain brown rice mixed up with some blanched and chopped kale. A beautiful pretty plate of food…it almost a shame to destroy it but more of shame when it was all gone! Definitely one to make again some time soon! I’m officially a tempeh convert!
What’s your favourite tempeh dish? I’m open to the endless possibilities!
Sticky Orange Glazed Tempeh
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 40 minutes
- 125ml (1/2 cup) pure fresh orange juice
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1 clove of garlic minced/pureed
- Pinch of ginger
- 1/2 tbsp aminos
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot + 1 tsp water
- 100g (3.5oz) tempeh finely sliced
- 1/4 cup short grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup blanched finely chopped kale
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cover brown rice with water and cook for 35-40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir through kale, leaving it ready to serve.
- Place tempeh in a non stick pan and cook for 6-8 minutes until nicely browned on all sides; sauté using a drop of water, adding a little more when it dries up.
- Whisk together the orange juice with all the sauce ingredients (arrowroot and water mixed together first).
- Add half of the sauce to the pan, reduce the heat and cook for 2-3 minutes until the tempeh is nicely glazed. Set to one side.
- Place the remainder of the sauce in a pot, bring to the boil and simmer for 3-5 minutes until it thickens up a little.
- Serve tempeh drizzled with the sauce, brown rice and kale on the side. Super simple, incredibly delicious!