A complete convert

by Peachy Palate on November 29, 2012

I’m an out and out tofu fanatic, I absolutely love the stuff and try to limit my intake to no more than two times a week…I’d happily dig in every day to a tofu based meal given half a chance!

I’ve dabbled with tempeh in the past but never quite fallen in love to the same extent. The dense texture didn’t appeal to me as much and I couldn’t quite get to grips with the flavour. I’d only ever purchased the jarred kind. The other day I almost jumped for joy when I saw a refrigerated block in The Happy Pear. Nothing fills my heart with more joy than finding a new ingredient to play around with Smile

I also loved the fact that it was one solid block which I could make the most of rather than random sized pieces that are sometimes less than pretty and end up proving a bit tricky to slice.

I picked up some amazing oranges in the store the other day. The kind that the juice drips through your fingers leaving them incredibly sticky after only managing to eat one segment.

I got a craving for a sticky orange sauce…random maybe…delicious..YES!!! It was everything I could have wished for and some and worked incredibly well with the tempeh. A simple quick nutritious meal packed full of flavour.

After the slightly heavier meal earlier on in the day (the shepherd-less pie for those of you who missed it!) this was the perfect balance of protein and grain, not overly laden with veggies, light on the tummy, and plate licking good. I didn’t want the tempeh to end, I could have eaten it another plateful but in hindsight I was left nicely satisfied..with a nice bit of room for dessert.

Tempeh is incredibly appeasing without you even realising it. I never feel immediately full upon eating it but hunger is kept at bay a hell of a lot longer than when I consume a tofu laden meal. That dense texture, the rich whole soy bean is one hell of a protein for hunger to contend with!

Simple sautéed tempeh, sizzled in the orange sauce, the remainder thickened with a little arrowroot and served alongside some of the much adored short grain brown rice mixed up with some blanched and chopped kale. A beautiful pretty plate of food…it almost a shame to destroy it but more of shame when it was all gone! Definitely one to make again some time soon! I’m officially a tempeh convert!

What’s your favourite tempeh dish? I’m open to the endless possibilities!

Sticky Orange Glazed Tempeh

Print this easy peasy recipe Print this easy peasy recipe

Servings – 1

Rice

• 1/4 cup short grain brown rice
  • 1/2 cup blanched finely chopped kale
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions

1. Cover brown rice with water and cook for 35-40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir through kale, leaving it ready to serve.
  2. Place tempeh in a non stick pan and cook for 6-8 minutes until nicely browned on all sides; sauté using a drop of water, adding a little more when it dries up.
  3. Whisk together the orange juice with all the sauce ingredients (arrowroot and water mixed together first).
  4. Add half of the sauce to the pan, reduce the heat and cook for 2-3 minutes until the tempeh is nicely glazed. Set to one side.
  5. Place the remainder of the sauce in a pot, bring to the boil and simmer for 3-5 minutes until it thickens up a little.
  6. Serve tempeh drizzled with the sauce, brown rice and kale on the side. Super simple, incredibly delicious!

Allie November 29, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Woah, I’d never heard of jarred tempeh–Now I feel like a soy-fan-failure :) Tempeh bacon is my absolute favorite way to use tempeh, but really, as long as it’s tempeh, I’ll eat it.

Peachy Palate November 29, 2012 at 5:03 pm

It’s not all that great so your not missing out :)

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate November 29, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I love tempeh, I will have to give this sauce a try! It is perfect for winter since it is orange season. I have actually only ever bought the the boxed and refrigerated form of tempeh as the jars always freaked me out a bit.

Peachy Palate November 29, 2012 at 7:59 pm

It’s sort of rubbery, much prefer the refrigerated form!

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake November 29, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Your foot is always so pretty, Michelle. Can I ask what camera you use? I’m thinking of getting a new one. Do you use an editing program?

I love tofu but I’ve never tried Tempeh. This looks lush.

Peachy Palate November 29, 2012 at 8:01 pm

It’s just a Canon EOS1100D – the basic standard with the standard lens, would love a macro lens…a girl can dream! I just use picasa!

Katie November 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm

This looks amazing! Make it for me?

I do like tempeh, but have not had it in forever! YUM!

Happy Thursday girl! <3

Peachy Palate November 29, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Give it a whirl, really easy!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries November 29, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I’ve actually never tried tofu OR tempeh. I’ve always wanted to, but I suppose it’s just one of those foods that has kind of “intimidated” me! Maybe this would be a good recipe for me to try it out for the first time. ;)

Peachy Palate November 30, 2012 at 10:01 am

Definitely give them a try – I have a lovely sweet chili pomegranate molasses tofu up on recipage too!

91% Chocolate Lover November 29, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Awesome, I’m making this soon! I love tempeh, it’s texture and nutty flavor are amazing. I’ve never even heard of jarred tempeh though! Anyways, I love orange sauces but haven’t had one in a while because it’s hard to find ones without laden with tons of sugar. This looks perfect! And it doesn’t hurt that kale and brown rice are also two of my favorite (and incredibly healthy foods). You can tell I’m incredibly excited about making this…I just need to pick up so more tempeh first!

Peachy Palate November 30, 2012 at 10:01 am

Love me some kale and brown rice…so simple and so incredibly awesome :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 30, 2012 at 3:17 am

I have been wanting to cook something with tempeh for awhile now, but have yet to find the “perfect” recipe. I am thinking that this may be it since it seems relatively simple. Thanks for sharing! :)

Peachy Palate November 30, 2012 at 10:01 am

Hope you love it!

Brittany December 19, 2012 at 12:47 am

Yum! This reminds me of the orange pan glazed tempeh from 101cookbooks—it’s the recipe that sold me on tempeh. :)

Peachy Palate December 19, 2012 at 9:43 am

Me too!!! I must check out 101 cookbooks! Is it an online resource or a a book in the US? I’m sure Google will answer me!