I’d much rather a big hunk of cake so creating something on the healthier side is always a good option. These days I wouldn’t really call myself a chocoholic. I’m not sure I ever was. In actual fact I would really call myself a cake fan…give me a slice of banana bread any day of the week. That said, the combination of chocolate and cake never fails to impress!
My food cravings and preferences are a little on the random side but they all make relative sense! A soft dare I say moist, almost gooey chocolate cake just elicits all sorts of wonderful ness. It doesn’t necessarily have to be particularly sweet. I’m a big fan of the rich bitter taste of dark chocolate so I go heavy on the cocoa powder and easy on the sugar.
Chocolate and pear to me is just a match made in heaven especially in cake form. The only requirement being that the pears are deliciously ripe, dripping with juice, soft but not mushy. Diced up nice and small, folded in to the creamy chocolate cake batter and baked on the light side. The tip of each slice ever so slightly fudge like, with burst of soft mellow fruity pear in almost every bite.
It was absolutely heavenly. So few ingredients, two bowls, one cake tin and 8 hunky slices to satisfy your cake cravings for an entire week – it freezes perfectly too, not that it’s likely to last that long. I always disappear a couple of slices and stick em in the freezer before offering up any to the family!
Having a slice of chocolate cake at the ready for whenever you get a longing is a must; especially when it’s a healthified version, not that you’d know!
If you want something even more decadent you could lather a slice with your favourite nut butter (a chocolate variety makes for an amazingly luscious treat!) It’s also the perfect cake to whip up with kids…no watching out for bits of egg shell going astray!
What’s your favourite chocolate cake mix in?
Chocolate Pear Cake
Servings – 8
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 – 25 minutes
- 1 1/3 cup (160g) buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) Dutch unprocessed cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (100g) raw cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large pear peeled and finely diced
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (125ml) applesauce
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together buckwheat flour, cocoa and baking powder.
- Blend together vanilla extract, water, applesauce and sugar.
- Add wet to dry and mix well to combine. Fold in diced pear.
- Pour mixture in a non stick or lined 8 inch cake tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 –25 minutes (mine took about 23!) until a toothpick inserted comes out ALMOST clean!