[donotprint] Typically when it comes to breakfast during the week I get home from the gym, in a right old sweat and my immediate desire is for something a little on the chilly side. The joys of food blogging mean that whatever I end up making has a chance to cool down regardless while I take a zillion few snaps!
Last week the morning frosts hit and pretty much as soon as I emerged from the gym the cold went straight back in to my bones. Frost + wind together mean chilly business and are a force to be reckoned with! The only thing for it (aside from the much needed hot shower) was steamy bowls of oats and this bowl was by far my favourite of the week.
It was a bowl of pure bliss…two homemade “sauces”, blackberries and orange and coconutty goodness. Rich, creamy, thick….I want them hot so I took my photos at a speed of knots and dug straight in. Of course what I neglected to remember was that oats have a delightful habit of staying hot for quite some time, especially when served in a deep dish bowl!
Yes of course I burnt my tongue but it was totally worth it! This bowl was inspiring by one of my favourite food bloggers, Gina. Her blackberry and orange combination was calling out to me!!! Oranges are just amazing this time of year, incredibly juicy, drippy and just hankering to be made spectacular use of.
I whipped up a blackberry and orange sauce, as well as a quick coconut and almond sauce (coconut butter and almond butter)…both of which were heavenly but particularly the latter! It’s the first time I’ve combined coconut and almond butter and it was simply divine. I’ve been neglecting the coconut butter for what seems like forever and I’d forgotten how amazing it is! Artisana I love you! I cracked open a fresh jar of Maranatha Almond Butter for the special occasion!
It was a bowl of oats with quite the ingredient list! I also whipped in Sunwarrior Vanilla Protein for good measure, just to be sure to be sure it was going to fill me up Magical stuff!
The fresh blackberries stirred through just before serving burst with the intense heat of the oats. I literally lick the bowl clean; if it had had a pattern I’m pretty sure I would have made it partially disappear.
I think this has to be my Christmas morning breakfast….quick, delicious, beautiful, warming, nutritious and all kinds of wonderful.
What’s your all time favourite bowl of hot and steamy oats??? Ever tried coconut and almond butter together? Seriously a must! [/donotprint]
Whipped Blackberry and Orange Coconut Oats
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 –3 tbsp orange juice
- 1/4 tsp arrow root + 1 tsp water (mixed)
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup jumbo oats
- 2/3 cup (160ml) almond milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut milk
- 1/2 scoop (10g) Vanilla Sunwarrior Protein Powder
- 1/2 banana mashed
- 1/3 cup fresh blackberries
Coconut and Almond Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp coconut butter
- 1/2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp toasted coconut
- Orange Rind
- Fresh Blackberries
- Fresh Orange Segments
- Place blackberries in a pot with orange juice and maple syrup. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-7 minutes until the blackberries are mushy. Roughly mash the blackberries before whisking in arrowroot (premixed with water). Stir and simmer for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens. Set to one side to reheat before serving oats.
- Place oats and both milks in a pot. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Vigorously whip in banana and simmer for a minute more before whipping in protein powder and once combined stir in fresh blackberries. Leave to heat through for one more minute.
- Meanwhile place coconut butter and almond butter in a bowl and melt in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. Mix well to combine.
- Serve oats topped with both sauces (you’ll have a little more of the blackberry sauce than you need, just stick it in the fridge for tomorrow!), toasted coconut, orange rind, orange segments and blackberries. Dig in!