It was the perfect excuse/opportunity to test out my new loose bottomed cake tin. The one I had was a little on the shallow side and the non stick coating had seen it’s day.
The second last can of my pumpkin puree from iHerb went in to the mix – well most of it, I reserved a little for the pumpkin quinoa flake bake! And of course got straight on to replenishing my stock with another order which arrived quick sharp as always along with some more Justin’s Maple Almond and SunButter (some people stock up on canned soup, I stock up on nut/seed butter and pumpkin puree! The necessities!)
Quick sweet breads are as fool proof as you can get really; don’t get me wrong I have had some banana bread disasters in the past but I put them down to me rushing around doing too many things at once and the nature of experimentation…every success there has be a bit of fail…even if it’s still edible!
Pumpkin, cranberries, pecans and pumpkin seeds…they just seem so appropriate this time of year and I can’t get enough of them. Crunchy, sweet, the nut that tastes almost like caramel/toffee paired with pumpkin spices embedded in a soft, light, spongy pumpkin filled cake.
Just as with the chocolate pear cake, this recipes makes eight hearty slices, you could push it at ten but why would you? It’s delicious just as is, healthy enough to have alongside breakfast, perfect with your favourite afternoon tipple and even more incredible if you dollop on your favourite nut or seed butter (the two mentioned above would of course be my preference and you can have my word that both taste amazing with the cake!)
I love the nuggets of crunch and chew throughout, the tart sweet cranberries, the odd pumpkin seed and pecan nut piece…a little icing might be a nice addition if you want to take the sweetness up a notch and turn it in to more of a dessert.
I suppose the round cake like shape is a little deceiving, a loaf might have been more appropriate but I favouring the triangular slice at the moment…I’ll save the more bread like slice for a new banana bread I intend to whip up this weekend …..it’s been a couple of weeks, way overdue!
Pumpkin Cranberry Pecan Pumpkin Seed Cake
Servings – 8 – 10
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 2 cups (240g) wholegrain spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup (125ml) almond milk
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side for 15 minutes until “eggy”.
- Meanwhile combine flour with baking powder and soda and the three spices.
- Mix together pumpkin puree with almond milk and maple syrup. Add in flax egg once it’s good to go!
- Add wet to dry and stir well to combine.
- Fold in seeds, nuts and dried cranberries.
- Place in a non stick or lined 8-9inch round loose bottom cake tin and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.