[donotprint] Broccoli soup wouldn’t really be high on my list of favourites…at least it wasn’t until now! Up to only a few years ago the only soups I’d convinced myself I liked were those that were tomato based and smooth without the words “cream” or “cheese” in their title or ingredient list. Clearly I now know that this was down to me constantly being on a mission to minimise my calorie intake….
I didn’t know what I was missing out on! I’m such a big soup fan these days and love creating different twists on old favourites; well someone’s old favourites if not my own
With a load of broccoli on my hands I decided a thick creamy almost cheezy green soup was on the cards. I gave a nutty twist by including toasted pistachios (along with a few extra on top for a little crunch). Not only did they give the soup quite a unique flavour they thickened it up just enough. Combined with the broccoli and creamy coconut milk the end result was a rich almost cheesy broccoli soup, loaded with green veggie goodness. I decided to blend in some raw spinach as I pureed the cooked broccoli.
Minimal ingredients, very little effort and only one pot (and possibly a food processor) to clean leaving you with a huge portion of soup for one or two generous enough portions….also for one or for any lingering mouth that needs feeding.
I ate half for lunch in my super deep cup and the rest on the side of dinner the other evening. It was incredible! I wasn’t expecting it to be quite so luscious. On the side two slices of my cranberry rye bread which I ended up toasting before digging in. I’m so much more of a lightly toasted bread kinda girl unless it freshly baked warm out of the oven.
I loved the bright vibrant green colour of the soup as much as I was in love with how it tasted. There is something about eating food out of a cup that just makes it all the more fun! It’s like the perfect portion size when paired with your favourite bread or for housing your favourite snack f.y.i mine is pear, plain soy yoghurt, chia seeds and SunButter!
This soup would make for a delicious starter on Christmas Day, mid morning or evening snack to tide you over, or to have on standby for guests stopping by and needing to something to rid themselves of the winter chill! You could even serve it in little mini cups! Simply delicious and sure to delight!
I’ve a one track mind at the moment….CHRISTMAS! Tomorrow’s Christmas Eve and I’m undecided as to whether or not I’ll end up posting or not…I might stop by with a potential delicious breakfast idea that requires no preparation the night before! [/donotprint]
Creamy Coconut Broccoli Pistachio Soup
Servings – 1 –2
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 2 cups of broccoli florets roughly chopped (1 medium head of broccoli)
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic mashed
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 tsp coconut butter (coconut oil would work too)
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup toasted pistachios + 1/2 – 1 tbsp for toppings
- 1.5 cups (375ml) water
- 1/3 cup (80ml) coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp – 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add coconut butter, onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes before adding in water and broccoli. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
- Remove from the heat and blend in using a stick/hand blender or place in a food processor/blender along with toasted pistachios, spinach and coconut milk. Whizz it up until perfectly smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper before returning to the heat for a few minutes to heat through. Garnish with pistachios and few little broccoli florets if you fancy it. Serve along side your favourite bread…my spelt cranberry rye bread is highly recommended.