[donotprint] Just like it says in the title!
I was introduced to the wonders of vegan French toast not all that long ago and ever since have been creating new variations on a weekly basis, some of which are still being tweaked but I’m getting ready for a couple of French toast focused posts over the next couple of weeks. Seen as I can only tolerate spelt I’ve been putting my baking hat on to fuel my bread appetite which has seen a recent surge
The combination of the pumpkin puree and Vanilla Sunwarrior in my epic pancakes recently was too good not to repeat….in French toast form of course.
Three thick slices of freshly baked spelt bread, smothered in a protein rich pumpkin sauce, pan fried and topped with seared banana. Delicious and nutritious! It’s an incredibly filling breakfast, ideal for those days that you know meal number two might be that bit further away than usual or when your tummy grumbles that bit more upon wakening or post workout.
Of course the previous pumpkin French toast was a draw to make a protein rich version. The density of the soda bread makes up for what it lacks in protein in terms of keeping hunger at bay, that said, the more spongy sandwich like spelt bread is better for ultimate pumpkin sauce soakage.
French toast wins over pancakes when I’m short on time in the mornings. Quickly soaked and cooked it requires less time to prepare and less attention while cooking; it’s as fool proof as you get. That is of course when I have bread on hand. If I get a longing and I have no bread in or out of the freezer, freshly baked out of the oven or a lingering slightly stale slice…the only thing for it is a fresh loaf. It’s totally worth the wait!
The Sunwarrior creates such a delicious sweet crust on the bread. Fresh raspberries, SunButter, a dollop on each slice and a sprinkling of my two favourite natural sprinkles…desiccated coconut and chia seeds. It’s a breakfast made for kings and queens. What I ever did without pumpkin puree to incorporate in to my morning meals is beyond me! Plain Jane toast just doesn’t cut the mustard these days; after years upon years of having almost dry for toast for breakfast I’m making up for it with the highly luxurious version these days!
What’s your favourite type of French toast? Pumpkin and protein…I’m telling you it’s the way to go! Check back later today for my Brussel and cranberry pearl barley! It’s the last of the Brussel recipes you’ll be seeing around here for a while. [/donotprint]
Vegan Pumpkin French Toast
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 – 10 minutes
- 2 – 3 slices of hearty seeded or nut bread
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup (60ml) almond milk
- 1/2 scoop Vanilla Sunwarrior Protein Powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 small banana sliced in to four
- 2 tbsp of SunButter divided – a dollop for each slice
- 1/2 tsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Fresh raspberries
- Fresh mint to garnish
- Blend together pumpkin puree, almond milk and protein powder.
- Place bread in a large flat bottomed dish or bowl and pour over thick and creamy pumpkin sauce. Flip the bread a few times to ensure it’s nicely coated and set to one side for 5-10 minutes for ultimate soakage.
- Place each slice of bread in a large non stick skillet over a medium heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes, pressing down to ensure it’s fully cooked on one side before turning over to cook on the other side for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Plate up the French toast and place the banana slices in the pan to cook for a couple of minutes while you set up your other toppings! Dig in immediately for ultimate warming indulgence.