[donotprint] If you’re going to do something give it your all…it used to be do it perfectly but I soon realised that was and unattainable goal to have and could be widely misconstrued depending on my mood. The best you can achieve at any given time is now my idea of perfect.
This breakfast was perfect! Another spin on French toast which I just can’t get enough of lately! A quick and simple hearty alternative to pancakes that believe it or not is easily adapted depending on the ingredients you have at hand and the flavour combination your taste buds are fancying on any given occasion.
The tropical buckwheat crepe was the first of many breakfasts in the tropics; when you buy super duper sized pineapple, a whole load of kiwi’s and passionfruit’s they simply need to be put to good use! The trio is amazing, especially when paired with coconut!
I used a mixture of banana, Vanilla Sunwarrior, almond milk and coconut extract, whizzed up together, as my French toast soaker. The seeded spelt sandwich bread worked a treat! Just doughy and light enough to soak up all the flavours available, yet dense and hearty enough to satisfy my late morning breakfast hunger.
I find after I workout in the morning it takes me about an hour to work up a proper appetite. Immediately after all I can face is water and maybe a date or two… leaving me with plenty of time to shower, dress and cook breakfast, just in time for when the hunger monster hits!
Of course a breakfast wouldn’t be complete without a good dollop or two of nut/seed butter and I went with SunButter yet again! I just love how creamy and smooth it is! It melts in to oats just beautifully and spread wonderfully over pancakes or French toast! Picking up all those bits of coconut and chia seeds along the way.
The coconut extract made all the difference to the coating – a little goes a long way. I’ve gone from having quite the dislike of coconut to pretty much having a spoonful every day! Aside from chia seeds there my favourite natural sprinkles! The only time coconut ever passed my way as a child it was in the form of Bounty Bars! Anyone remember them? They were always the bar in the fun size bag that was left behind for the adults, namely my mum, to nibble on!
What are your favourite natural sprinkles?
Aside from chia seeds and coconut, I’m a huge fan of bee pollen for a hit of sweetness that’s packed with goodness! [/donotprint]
Tropical French Toast
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 – 10 minutes
- 2 thick slices of seeded spelt bread (or bread of choice)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) almond milk
- 1/4 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 medium banana mashed
- 1/2 scoop Vanilla Sunwarrior Protein Powder
- 1 small kiwi sliced
- Remaining 1/2 of banana sliced in half
- 1 small passionfruit
- 1/3 cup diced pineapple
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp SunButter
- Blend together almond milk, banana, coconut extract and protein powder until smooth; just a minute or two with a hand blender!
- Place bread in flat bottomed bowl and cover with pureed mixture. Flip over a couple of times, spooning over the thick batter until fully coated. Set to one side for 5- 10 minutes.
- Place bread in a non stick skillet over a medium heat and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Place the other half of your banana in the pan and sear a couple of minutes alongside the bread.
- Serve topped with a spoonful of SunButter on each slice, chia seeds and coconut sprinkled over the top and the seared banana and fruit on top, on the side or whatever you fancy.