Portobello Parsnip & Sweet Potato Barbecue Stew (Inspired by Kath Eats)
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Passata (sieved tomatoes)
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and diced in to bite size pieces
- 2 large portobello mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium parsnip peeled and diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 white onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- Add all sauce ingredients to a pot, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened a little.
- Meanwhile add onion and garlic to a pan along with a drop of water and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add in the rest of the ingredients for the stew along with the barbecue sauce, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25-35 minutes until the sweet potato and parsnips are soft but not mushy. The sauce should be thick and rich. If it becomes too thick during cooking add a little more water.
- Serve on top of a bed of short grain brown rice.