[donotprint] I’ve been on a healthy fast food kick of late! First up was the cauliflower barbecue pizza and then this amazing vegan bean burger inside of a beautiful plump bun…
Homemade of course! They just get better every time! I topped this one with jumbo oats and gave it a brush of almond milk before baking hence the golden colour.
I remember when I started making bean burgers they were decidedly floppy/squishy or sometimes dry. I could never get the consistency just right; the right balance of ingredients, and textures…at least I had the flavour down but it meant consuming them was quite the messy affair.
Most vegetarians or vegans will probably have they’re idea of the ultimate burger; it’s different for everyone and I’m all for options. That said this one is a particular favourite, in fact it is my all time favourite and one which I’ve made and will continue to make over and over as it never fails to impress.
It’s chocker block with the perfect balance of flavours and textures, holds together perfectly, requires minimal effort and attention and reheats without a bother; though they can equally be enjoyed cold, just as is or crumbled over your favourite salad or some leftover roasted veggies.
Who needs meat when you have kidney beans (also known as the red bean)! They more comparable to the chickpea in terms of their starchiness making them a perfect burger base. Along with grated carrot, spring onion, jumbo oats and a couple of my favourite herbs and spices, part of a flax egg is the icing on the cake bringing the whole thing together in one fell swoop. A sprinkling of sunflower seeds provide a delicious bit of crunch throughout and make the end burger all the more mightily special.
Before digging in I smoother the bottom of the bun with Dijon mustard (Biona of course!) and the top with my new favourite barbecue sauce – this stuff is rocking! As much as I like to make my own sauces and pretty much everything that passes my lips…sometimes you it’s hard to beat the professionals!
It was quite the challenge to get my mouth around this one, the bun was particularly plump though that is far from a complaint! The ultimate burger…times two seen as this is a bit of recipe revisit/reinvention that turned out to be a massive success.
What are your favourite mustard and barbecue sauce brands?
Any plans for the weekend? If you have time for baking make sure to stop by tomorrow for an amazing new scone recipe with Peanut Butter & Co. Smooth Operator in the mix! [/donotprint]
Shel’s Ultimate Bean Burger
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 – 18 minutes
- 1/3 cup (2 heaped tbsp) kidney beans roughly mashed
- 1/2 tbsp ground flax + 1.5 tbsp water
- 1 heaped tbsp jumbo oats
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds toasted (toss in a dry pan for 5 minutes over a medium heat)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 small carrot finely grated – 1.5 tbsp
- 1 tbsp finely chopped spring onion
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Bragg’s liquid aminos
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Sea Salt and Black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix together all other ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper before adding in the flax egg.
- Mould the mixture in to one mighty patty and place on a non stick baking tray; bake in the oven for 15 – 18 minutes, turning at least once during this time.
- Serve in between your favourite bun, mustard and barbecue sauce highly recommended!