I’ve gone from not being a massive cookie fan to being a mighty cookie enthusiast in the space of two weeks. Two batches of cookies to be even more precise. The oat cacao and almond meal cookies laced with walnuts, banana and tahini turned the tide in favour of the cookie; cakes, muffins and even banana bread are taking a temporary back seat.
So last Sunday I got my cookie baking hat right back on (I don’t actually own a cookie baking hat or any cooking hat for that matter though catch me in the right mood and I’d more than happily partake in wearing one!). I’ve had a bag of quinoa flakes sitting on my shelf staring back at me for far too long. I haven’t experimented with them a whole lot other than to make some awesome breakfast quinoa flake bakes.
When playing around with some of your favourite and prized ingredients there is a little bit of extra pressure. The last thing you want is a recipe fail and what you hope for is something at least edible so that nothing ends up going to waste.
I was looking for something intensely chocolaty, a chewy yet crisp cookie that would be even more indulgent spread with some of that white cashew butter I’m so madly in love with.
What I got was even more awesome than I could have wished for. Chewy in the middle, crisp on the outside with little bits of crunch thanks to the quinoa flakes. You know a cookie is rich and delicious when you actually struggle to finish it! That’s how chocolate loaded they are! Granted it was just after dinner when I tucked in to one and I had gone with the option of spreading it thickly with cashew butter….and of course I did finish it but I will admit I couldn’t have gone another one…
At least not straight away!
My brother was a fan and sang the praises of my handy work on his morning trip to the gym to those who would listen and then proceeded to finish off the ones I’d set aside for him on his return home.
Double chocolate cookie or chocolate chip, which would take your fancy first?
Double Chocolate Chunk Quinoa Cookies (vegan and gluten free)
Servings – 8 large cookies
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 12 minutes
- 1 cup (120g) quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cup (60g) almond meal
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup (60g) Dutch unprocessed cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (80g) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (1 small) mashed banana
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) coconut butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 squares dark vegan friendly chocolate (1/3 cup chopped approx.)
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side for 15 minutes.
- Mix together quinoa flakes, cocoa powder, almond meal, baking soda and powder.
- In a separate bowl or jug blend together coconut sugar, banana and melted coconut sugar. Stir in almond milk flax egg and vanilla extract before adding to the dry ingredients.
- Mix until well incorporated. Bring together to a slightly sticky dough using your hands and fold in chocolate chunks.
- Wash hands and leave damp. Mould dough to in to cookies approximately 3-4 inch’s in diameter. Roll a piece of the dough in to a ball, flatten between palms of your hands before placing on a non stick baking tray and pressing dough further until desired size. Cup your hands around the edges to smooth and form a nice circle shape.
- Repeat 7 more times before placing your tray of cookies in the oven to bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool further; or digging in straight away for the taste test!