That sentence could be completed in so many ways that would be applicable to this amazingly simple curry packed full of my favourite ingredients…when in doubt reach for the peanut butter/coconut milk/tofu/brown rice….
Not forgetting the shiitake mushrooms! I’ve been all over the place with meals lately. Not in terms of routine just in relation to the random variety of ingredients and combinations I’ve been testing out the majority of which have been turning out quite successful.
I got a longing for something a little spicy earlier in the week so I whipped up this super easy hassle free coconut and peanut speedy curry complete with tofu and my favourite mushrooms served on a bed of the most wonderful rice on the planet (short grain brown…love it!)
Out came the Peanut Butter & Co. Smooth Operator, the ultimate in smooth drippy creamy peanut butter that melts beautifully in to the coconut curry sauce. I cooked the components of the curry seperately sautéing the red pepper, tofu pieces and shiitake mushrooms. I whisked the sauce up in a little pot and cooked my rice for a good 40 minutes until it was nicely soft and slightly sticky.
All combined on the plate for a magical delicious meal in minutes; if you had leftover rice at hand it’d be ready in no time but sure you can leave that simmering away while you get everything else ready…paint your nails perhaps
You know the saying… “doing something over and over and expecting different results…” ? Well that’s me when it comes to painting my nails. I paint them in the middle of doing something else and for some strange reason think they’re going to dry in seconds allowing me to continue on with what I’m doing. Of course this isn’t the case and usually ends up in me having remove the whole lot thanks to a whole lot of inevitable smudging. Some lessons we never learn!
I digress….this curry is not only simple and speedy but it’s pretty darn delicious! The perfect combination of coconut and peanut flavour with a bit of kick (though you can always add some more chili if you fancy a bit more fire!). The sauce is just a nice consistency, not to thick and ideal for coating all your veggies and tofu and mixing it up with your sweet brown rice as you dig in.
What silly habit do you have that you consistently repeat?
Coconut Peanut Tofu & Shiitake Mushroom Curry
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes (+35 – 40 minutes for the rice!)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) coconut milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) almond milk
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1/2 tbsp Bragg’s aminos (or use soy sauce)
- 1 small clove of garlic minced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 2 tbsp smooth and drippy peanut butter
- 1 heaped tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch + 2 tsp water
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 150g (5oz) firm tofu diced
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 a small red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 – 1 cup shiitake mushrooms (I used about two handfuls but use as many as you like or can get your hands on!)
- 1/3 cup uncooked short grain brown rice
- Fresh coriander to serve
- Cover brown rice with boiling water and leave to cook for 35- 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile slice or dice tofu whatever way you please and cook in a non stick pan with the coconut oil for 8 – 10 minutes, turning to ensure it’s browned on all sides. Set to one side.
- In the same pan cook the minced garlic, red pepper and shitake mushrooms. Set to one side with the tofu.
- Whisk together coconut milk, almond milk, peanut butter, chili paste, curry powder, cumin, coriander, aminos, lime juice and brown sugar in a small pot. Bring to the boil and stir until everything is well combined.
- Mix together cornstarch and water and add to the sauce. Simmer and stir for a further 5 minutes until it thickens up a little.
- Add tofu, mushrooms, garlic and red pepper to the sauce. Mix well to coat and serve up on your brown rice, sauce remaining in the pot drizzled over the top. Sprinkle with fresh coriander to serve.