I’m pretty sure this mustard sauce would win over even those who aren’t a fan of the bright yellow seed once it was given another name! Creamy, finger licking good, with a little bit of a mustard kick and a hit of sweetness it totally won me over and got my two thumbs up; if I had a couple more I’d give it them too but licking the bowl clean will have to do.
This bowl was randomly inspired by one of Kath’s Lately posts when she mentioned having the tofu, kale and portobello trio for dinner one night. The mustard soy glaze sounds like an awesome addition and a glaze was what I originally intended to create….
But it became a sauce and I was mightily happy with the result! Granted I did use the most amazing Dijon mustard on the planet…it doesn’t have the sometimes not so pleasant kick of other mustards, flavoured with turmeric…it’s amazing stuff!
Sautéed chunky tofu cubes, wilted kale and sautéed portobello mushrooms, all with a little coconut oil and the drippy glossy sauce over the top.
It was so good I made it twice! The exact combination! I posted the first pic when I dug in last Wednesday night on Twitter and dug in to my second bowlful on Tuesday with every plan/intention of sharing it for this week’s WIAW…great excuse to whip up something yummy and take a few snaps!
I hadn’t originally considered it was going to be anything special…certainly tasty but no necessarily blog or “recipe” sharing worthy.
Man was I wrong! I’m totally loving simple meals at the moment. Meals that are made in a flash, even more so if you make a big batch of your favourite sauce to drench your favourite protein,veggie or grain combos.
It would work well with chicken I’d imagine if you’re not a tofu fan or even salmon…let me know if you try it with either and it hits the spot
What’s your favourite quick to whip up sauce?
Mustard Maple Drenched Tofu Kale & Portobello Mushroom Bowl
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
Veggies and Tofu
- A few large handfuls of kale roughly torn
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 3 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 block firm tofu (about 1 cup)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp Bragg’s aminos
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch + 1 tsp water
- Whisk together all sauce ingredients with the exception of the cornstarch mixture.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes before whisking in cornstarch and water (mix together before adding). Simmer for a further couple of minutes, whisking continuously as it thickens. Set to one side until ready to serve.
- Dice tofu in to large cubes.
- Sauté in a pan with 1 tsp of coconut oil until browned on all sides; approx. 10 minutes. I turn over each piece after a minute to two minutes on each side!
- Slice mushrooms and sauté in another pan with the remaining teaspoon of coconut oil for 5 minutes before adding in kale. Sauté for a further 2 minutes until the kale is just wilted.
- Place kale and mushrooms in a bowl, tofu chunks on top and sauce drizzled over the whole lot!
- Why not make more of the sauce and keep it in the fridge for up to a week! It would also make for a delicious salad dressing and I’d imagine it would work pretty well with salmon or chicken.