[donotprint] I go through fits and starts with breakfasts.
The first of which I delved in to on Tuesday morning. The last few instant bakes I’ve made, have been similar to the pear, chocolate and blueberry one, featuring a mix of buckwheat flour and Sunwarrior but I figured I should give a straight up flour mix one ago making it more achievable for those that don’t purchase protein powder on a regular basis.
Having whizzed up a batch of oat flour over the weekend (simply grinding oats to a flour in the food processor) I had a little left over from my baked pancake on Monday and so incorporated it in the blackberry, apple cinnamon buckwheat bake. Just as filling as a mighty bowl of oats or stack of oat pancakes, the common denominator being the oats.
There is something so incredibly satisfying about the high fibre cereal grain and the flavour and texture is hard to beat – it works a treat in muffins too
Topped with toasted crunchy buckwheat groats and mighty spoonful of SunButter…whipped up in 15 minutes flat including prep, cooking and cleaning! The blackberries and diced apple throughout provide burst of naturally sweet flavour embedded in the soft spongy bake.
I softened the diced apple before combining in the mix; if you were to bake it in the oven it would have time to get nice and gooey but it needs a little extra helping hand when it’s only going to be 2 minutes in the microwave.
Diced up in a bowl with a little cinnamon and teeny drop of water, 1.5 minutes on high and you’ve got soft sweet apple chunks ready to fold in to the bake batter, reserving a little for on top. The combination of blackberries and apples is an incredible classic, comforting, satisfying and a real treat for breakfast. I wasn’t sure if the instant bake sans the protein powder would tide me over in the usual fashion but the oats worked their magic.
Super simple apple blackberry oat and buckwheat bake…beautiful!
This bake isn’t overly sweet with no sugar having been added; it’s what makes it appropriate as a health breakfast option. If you need a hit of sweetness add some stevia, granulated or drops, the equivalent of 1/2 – 1 tbsp of syrup or table sugar.
What’s your favourite type of instant bake?
Obviously anything chocolate has a tendency to win me over but variety is the spice of life! [/donotprint]
Blackberry Apple Oat Buckwheat Instant Bake
Preparation Time –15 minutes
Cooking Time – 2 minutes
- 1/4 cup (30g) oat flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup small or sliced blackberries
- 1 medium apple peeled and diced + 1/4 tsp cinnamon + 1/4 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp toasted buckwheat groats
- 1/2 tbsp toasted buckwheat groats
- 2 tbsp SunButter
- Remainder of apple from filling
- 1/2 tsp desiccated coconut
- Whisk together flax and water and set to one side for 10 minutes until eggy in consistency.
- Meanwhile mix together oat and buckwheat flour with cinnamon, toasted buckwheat groats and baking powder. If you’re using sugar or sweetener add it to the dry or wet ingredients in the next stage depending on which kind you choose.
- Mix almond milk with vanilla extract and whisk in flax egg once it’s good to go.
- Add wet to dry and vigorously whip to combine.; get some air in to it!
- Place diced peeled apple in a bowl with cinnamon and water and place in the microwave for 1.5 minutes. Add 1/4 of the apple along with the blackberries to the instant bake batter. Place in a microwave safe dish; I used a 12oz/350ml mini dish.
- Heat on high for 2 minutes; times may vary depending on the microwave so if it looks like it’s not done give it an extra 15-30seconds bearing in mind it will continue to cook for a few seconds after once removed from the microwave.
- Top with remaining apple, some on the side, toasted buckwheat groats, coconut, blackberries and SunButter and dig in!