[donotprint] I tend to pick up at least one new dish on a weekly basis. I just can’t help myself!
They’re not expensive ones and I justify it with the fact that I’m only buying one and if i don’t get it when I see it they’ll sell out. When I spotted this pink bowl I immediately had to have it. I loved the size, the shape, the colour and could see wonderful oats sitting pretty in it.
Later that day I picked up some dark purple organic plums from The Happy Pear, ruby red juicy flesh inside and as soon as I tasted one I knew what was on the cards for the following mornings breakfast.
Lightly stewed plums…simple chopped and placed in a pot with a dash of water, no sugar with these as there was simply no need. Deliciously sweet organic plums need no messing with! While I let the plums melt a little and become even more glorious and syrupy I allowed my oats to simmer in almond milk, whipped with banana just as they were done cooking.
I stirred through the stewed plums (a total of about 6 little teeny ones!) and allowed the whole lot of mingle for a minute or two before serving with big dollop of Barney Butter.
If you haven’t tried Barney Butter it’s the ultimate nut butter when it comes to oats. When you open the jar you’re greeted with the distinct roasted almond aroma, a thick slightly heavy looking nut butter though incredibly smooth. As soon as it hits the heat it begins to melt. Almost like chocolate in that it holds it’s shape until you dig in to the oats and it spreads across the surface and in through the crevices in a delicious puddle of rich almond butter goodness.
Seriously amazing stuff!
A little stewed plum reserved for on top along with toasted buckwheat groats and toasted flaked almonds (to compliment the dash of almond extract in the oats!). It was a wonderful mix of flavours, textures with an incredible sweet almond aroma. Lucky the bowl was a deep one to house the mighty portion – the spoonful or so left in the pot was enjoyed pre photo taking!
What kitchen item do you find it hard to resist?
I’m all about bowls…followed closely by ramekins and plates! [/donotprint]
Plum & Almond Whipped Oats
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup (60g) jumbo oats
- 1 small ripe banana mashed
- 125ml (1/2 cup) almond milk
- 160ml (2/3 cup) water
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 4-6 small ripe sweet plums diced + 1 tsp of water
- 2 tbsp smooth Barney Butter
- 1/2 tbsp toasted almond flakes
- 1/2 tbsp toasted buckwheat groats
- Plums reserved from oats
- Place plums and water in a pot. Bring to the boil and simmer over a really low heat for 8-10 minutes
- Meanwhile cover oats with water, almond milk and almond extract. Bring to the boil and simmer for 7 minutes before whipping in mashed ripe banana; quite vigorously so it melts away.
- Stir through stewed syrupy plums reserving a spoonful for on top. Serve oats topped with remaining plums, toasted almonds, buckwheat groats and Barney Butter!