[donotprint] Sushi…it’s not something I’ve eaten a whole lot of to be honest though I did recently dabble in making my own vegan version which turned out relatively successfully. What turned out even more successfully was my supersized deconstructed sushi bowl!
Having to fit all the flavours and ingredients together in one roll that I fancy is for me a near impossibility.
As you can see from the bowl I have a fancy for quite a few ingredients; they all combine for wonderful flavour combinations, delicious textures, beautiful colours…the whole thing was incredibly fresh, light yet at the same time completely 100% satisfying and filling. The little nori sushi rolls granted are quite deceptive in terms of the volume of food packed inside them, that said I’d house down at least two rolls no bother due to the ease by which the slices can be consumed. I’d call them more of a snack or appetiser as opposed to a main meal.
In the mix, pomegranates, carrot noodles, edamame, cooked brown basmati rice (sweet and slightly sticky), a miso orange dressing, strips of nori, roasted eggplant, plenty of chives and spring onions thinly sliced! Quite the array of ingredients!
The mixture of both cooked and raw ingredients really worked, fresh, fruity, sweet and savoury. I tried to get a little of each in together in each bite, which might I had was no mean feat! No better woman for such a challenge having had my fair share of ginormous vegan burgers to get my mouth around!
It was a really simple fun meal which brightened my day and delighted my tastebuds; you could really combine whatever ingredients you have at hand, the core ones being the basmati brown rice, nori strips and that orange miso dressing to tie it altogether and bestow it with the title of a sushi bowl.
What’s your favourite nori sushi roll filling, vegan, vegetarian, meat or fish, I’d love to hear your top picks!? [/donotprint]
Vegan Deconstructed Sushi Bowl
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup cooked brown basmati rice
- 1/2 a small eggplant sliced and roasted
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1 medium carrot finely chopped or made in to noodles (I used my Zyliss Julienne Peeler!)
- 1/3 cup (80g) cooked (steamed) edamame beans
- 1/2 a small red pepper roasted sliced in to thin strips
- 2 spring onions finely sliced in to strips
- 1 handful of alfalfa and radish sprouts (or whichever you have at hand)
- 1 –2 sheets of nori sliced in to strips
- Handful of chives
- 30ml (2 tbsp) orange juice
- 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sweet brown rice miso
- Pinch of freshly minced ginger
- Drop or dash of maple syrup
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Place all sushi bowl ingredients in a bowl in your desired fashion. I prefer to keep them all separate and combine by choice with every forkful.
- Pour thick dressing in to the centre for dipping!