[donotprint] Back when I started blogging, almost two years ago now I was introduced for the very first time to the idea of zucchini bread.
Carrot cake was common, zucchini bread/cake on the other hand was completely unheard of in these parts. Still today people hear zucchini (or as Irish people call them “courgette”) in the same sentence as cake and they look at you wide eyed and a little confused.
Angela’s zucchini bread was the first recipe I came across for my now go to quick bread alternative to banana bread.
I was completely won over from the first bake though I will admit it’s been far too long since I made a loaf. Spelt flour has been my go to alternative to standard wheat flour for quite some time but lately I’ve been making a more concerted effort to go completely gluten free. What a great excuse to remake or rather “rebake” a whole loaf of cake!
Oat, buckwheat and almond flour is an amazing trio that produces quite the loaf!
Banana carob chip bread, berry loaded muffins, chocolate pumpkin bread and the date and orange loaf are the latest creations; all of which are worth checking out. That said, I’d go with the zucchini bread if you’re going to make one today!
I left out the classic raisins and went with pecans as my nut of choice. Another successful loaf with a yield of 8 thick slices, mighty enough for breakfast and absolutely incredible topped with SunButter!
I’ve raced through this loaf a rate like no other; not a slice remains to be seen which means there is of course more baking on the agenda this week…next on the list of must makes is something peanut flour based!
Link me up to your favourite zucchini bread recipe! Would love to see some alternative ideas!
Gluten Free Zucchini Bread
Servings – 8 thick slices
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 40 minutes
- 11/4 cup (150g) wholegrain buckwheat flour
- 1 cup (120g) oat flour (ground from whole (gluten free) oats
- 1/4 cup (30g) almond flour (not meal!)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water
- 11/4 cup finely grated zucchini (approx. two medium)
- 11/4 cup (310ml) almond milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) applesauce
- 1/4 cup (40g) coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (60g) chopped pecan nuts
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix together flax and water and set to one side for 15 minutes until “eggy” in consistency.
- Meanwhile mix together buckwheat and oat flour with baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Blend together almond milk, vanilla extract and applesauce with coconut sugar. Stir through flax eggs once they’re ready.
- Add wet to try and fold to combine. Fold in pecan nuts before placing mixture in a non stick or lined 2lb loaf tin. Run a knife down the centre (it’s a wet mix but trust me it makes a difference and should help yield a nice even rise!).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.