[donotprint] Steamy bowls of oats are just not the ticket this time of year. Even on the cooler mornings it just doesn’t feel appropriate to be whipping up a bowl of something so belly warming.
Even if the sun isn’t planning on continuing to shine there are a few milestones that have been reached which mean summer is officially here….
- My mum and dad officially had there first barbecue of the summer at the year last weekend
- I munched my way through the first of the Irish strawberries; absolutely incredible
- I’ve left the house with nothing more than a t-shirt on my top half four times in the past week
- No cold toes; Toms are being worn in all their barefoot glory
I also have plans to paint my toe nails…it’s been a while! The havaianas will be out next. I could do with a pair of these too…though that’s just me dreaming big.
Overnight oats are also back with a bang! Throughout the winter I completely neglected to have bowl (I just had no longing for a cool creamy bowlful, no matter how good they are, pancakes, oats and instant bakes won me over time and time again!) …
But I’m officially in love with them all over again! A thick delicious strawberries and cream bowl topped with coconut and cacao nibs was a fantastic way to reintroduce them to my life. Dreamy is the only word to describe them!
Everyone has their own way of making overnight oats, vegan or otherwise and it’s all down to personal texture and flavour preference for me their are a few vital components…
- Jumbo whole oats
- Almond/Coconut Milk
- Plain Soy yoghurt
- Half a mashed banana
- Vanilla extract
- Chia Seeds
- Nut/Seed Butter for topping
I only add in the yoghurt in the morning having let the chia seeds, oats, milk of choice, vanilla and banana mingle overnight. Soft or stewed fruits are the way to go for stirring through the morning after and I go mad with the toppings – granola, cacao nibs, coconut, nuts, seeds…the possibilities are endless.
I made a small batch of strawberry chia jam and added a dollop for extra strawberry loveliness. The end result of amazing. I pretty much lick the bowl clean – not one oat went to waste.
What’s your go to overnight oat approach? [/donotprint]
Strawberries and Cream Coconut Overnight Oats
Preparation Time – Overnight
- 1/2 cup (60g) jumbo oats
- 80ml (1/3 cup) coconut milk
- 80ml (1/3 cup) almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- 1/2 a ripe mashed banana
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
Toppings & Stir Ins
- 80g (1/3 cup) plain soy yoghurt
- 1/2 a cup of fresh diced strawberries
- 1 tbsp strawberry chia jam
- 2 tbsp SunButter
- 1/2 tbsp raw cacao nibs
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut
- Mix together overnight oat ingredients and place in a seal tight container or covered bowl overnight in the fridge.
- In the morning stir through yoghurt and strawberries. Top with cacao nibs, strawberry chia jam, cacao nibs, SunButter and coconut to serve.