I’m back in sweet potato loving mood for sure. That sweet potato black bean salad with creamy avocado sauce is still pulling at my heart strings; or rather my tastebuds, calling for more. Low and behold this is my new and improved all time favourite way to cook sweet potatoes.
The base is miso and maple syrup, on this occasion subbed with some orange juice for a twist and 100% inspired by Ashley over at Edible Perspective – amazing simple delicious meal idea that I’ve had on repeat a few times over ever since digging in to truetalkradio.com this plateful last week.
I opted the wonder short grain red rice I had since making that wonderful pumpkin edamame rice dish. Slightly chewier than short grain brown basmati, a little nuttier but just as wonderful.
I coated the sweet potato rounds in the dressing before roasting. Charred around the edges, soft, melt in the mouth flesh, dressed with some reserved dressing and generous helping of black sesame seeds along with a little coriander.
Components of a happy meal for me include an orange veg., a wonderful grain and ahsvet.com heaps of nutrient dense flavour along with a little sprinkling of only today crunch. The simple combinations really are sometimes the best. I ummed and ahhed more times that I can remember as I dug in to this beauty. Loved every minute of it! I’ve another variation on http://da.org.za/lowest-levitra-price the menu tonight which if it’s every bit as delicious I’ll share very soon!
What are your key components of a “happy meal” ? i.e. one that you look ridiculously forward too!
Orange Miso Maple Sweet Potatoes & Red Rice (adapted from Edible Perspective)
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 40 minutes
Potatoes and Rice
- 1/3 cup (60g) uncooked red rice
- 1/2 small sweet potato sliced in to three to four rounds approx. 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 tsp rock or sea salt
- 1 tbsp sweet brown rice miso
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp melt coconut oil
- 1 tsp Bragg’s aminos/gluten free soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of ground ginger
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 heaped tsp black sesame seeds
- Coriander to serve
- Combine all glaze ingredients whisking until smooth; preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Use 2/3 of the glaze to coat the http://www.fx-bar.com/canadian-healthcare sweet potato rounds and place on a non stick baking tray to roast for 30 –35 minutes – turning at least once during cooking time.
- Meanwhile cover rice with boiling water and cook for 35 –40 minutes. I don’t measure out the water, I simply add more if it needs it and drain off the excess once cooked.
- Season rice with salt.
- Serve sweet potatoes on the bed of rice, reserved glaze over the top, sprinkled with sesame seeds and garnished with coriander.