Soothing Ginger Smoothie

by Peachy Palate on May 20, 2013

Every so often my tummy plays up, usually due to me having eaten the wrong type of foods or just too much of one or the other and occassionally down to stress (probably more often that I care to admit!)

My go to remedy for a tummy issues be it cramps, nausea or just plain old wind….yes we all get it!; is always ginger lemon tea. Ideally fresh lemon ginger tea which simply involves sliced at least a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, along with half a lemon, placing in a large mug or pot and pouring over hot water. Five minutes later you have yourself some awesome fresh zesty lemon tummy loving tea.

For me it’s like an instant healer!

I awoke on Sunday morning gone by feeling decidedly crampy/windy/bloated tummy and with work on the agenda for the afternoon I knew I needed to get in some food but the thought of anything solid was far from appealing. I very rarely loose my appetite but this was one of the infrequent occasions.

Ginger lemon tea….it just wouldn’t be enough. So I opted for a creamy fresh delicious smoothie, easy to digest, packed full of goodness, not to mention that tummy loving ginger!

Fresh ginger, lime, coconut milk and mango were the basics. I also added in some ground flaxseed and a couple of tablespoons of oats to thicken the whole thing up. I almost always opt for frozen banana in smoothie but when my tummy is acting up I try and steer clear of them as they don’t help matters.

The combination of flavours was absolutely incredible! Topped off with some crystalised ginger, a little mango and some toasted coconut my appetite didn’t take long to come in to full force.  About ten minutes after consuming it I went for a slice of zucchini bread; my tummy felt instantly better and ready to take something a little more solid on board.

This smoothie will definitely be my new go to tummy healer/soother over the warmer Summer months!

What’s your go to home remedy for tummy cramps or nausea? I’d love to hear your suggestions, ideas and recipes!

Soothing Ginger Mango Dream Smoothie

Print this easy peasy recipe Print this easy peasy recipe

Servings – 1

Preparation Time – 5 minutes

Ingredients

Smoothie

• 1 cup frozen mango pieces (I bought a ripe fresh one, peeled, diced and froze it!)
  • 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
  • 2 tsp minced/finely grated fresh ginger
  • Zest of 1 lime
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp oats
  • 1 tbsp ground flaxseed

Toppings

• Toasted coconut
  • Mango chunks
  • 2-3 cubes of crystalised ginger finely chopped
  • Mint to garnish

Directions

1. Blend together all ingredients until smooth.
  2. Top with toasted coconut, mango chunks, and crystalised ginger. Garnish with a little mint to serve.

Alba May 20, 2013 at 9:45 am

What type of coconut milk did you use? The thick canned one or the regular less dense milk? Fantastic recipe will be making it next time my boyfriend gets tummy issues as he has a tendency of getting them very often!

Peachy Palate May 20, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I used the thick canned one…full fat but low fat would work too.

Lauren (@Poweredbypb) May 20, 2013 at 10:56 am

Ginger is the best for cramps or nausea, I love juicing it or putting it in smoothies! Your smoothie looks lovely and thick!

Peachy Palate May 20, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Ye the frozen mango worked a treat along with the coconut milk! So creamy!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 20, 2013 at 5:05 pm

This sounds wonderful. I have heard great things about ginger and stomach aches. I will have to try this the next time that I am not feeling so well.

Peachy Palate May 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Ye definitely! But sure it tastes amazing either way so you don’t have to wait until your feeling sick :)

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 20, 2013 at 9:28 pm

This smoothie sounds so great! I tend to have a sensitive stomach, so the ginger in this will be perfect for me. I can’t wait to try it out!

Eating 4 Balance May 20, 2013 at 11:45 pm

So not exactly a question about the smoothie ( ;) )… but do you not grate your ginger before making your tea? I always thought that’s how you were supposed to do it. I’ll have to try your slice method though because I gave up drinking ginger tea because I hated all of the little pieces of ginger.

Peachy Palate May 21, 2013 at 8:17 am

No I just put in big chunky slices :)

Katie May 21, 2013 at 1:04 am

YUM! Loving this combo! I am such a ginger lover! I will have to try this!

Happy Monday love!

Peachy Palate May 21, 2013 at 8:17 am

Thanks Katie! Let me know if you give it a go! : )

Julie and Brit @ twosaucysisters.wordpress.com May 21, 2013 at 2:16 pm

This looks incredible, Michelle! We agree – ginger sooths the stomach like no other! We always keeps some on hand to chew on when our stomachs turn, and our Mom used to always give us flattened ginger ale when we were sick as kids. Works like a charm!

Peachy Palate May 21, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I LOVE Ginger ale! :)

Sloane Pitman May 21, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Yummyyy!!! I always brew up come ginger tea when my tummy is acting up, but on really bad days I go for Kombucha gingerade. The fizziness and fermentation helps calm everything down!

Peachy Palate May 21, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Would you believe I’m yet to try it! The Kombucha I mean!