Baking a quick loaf, banana, zucchini…or whatever the flavour combination, tends to work out 99% of the time. I’ve got the dry and wet ratios down along with the baking time and I have the perfect loaf tin to house the loaf of the week. And when I say loaf of the week, I do tend to bake at least one a week!
This week it was all about the peanut butter combinations; I’m on a peanut butter kick for sure! High protein peanut flour combined with buckwheat made for this spectacular raspberry and chocolate chunk peanut butter loaf.
It’s actually a variation on a banana bread when you look at the recipe in more detail but I just fancied calling it something else
Raspberries, chocolate and peanut butter..it’s a trio made in heaven! The chocolate chunks (dark chocolate, Lindt 85% to be precise) provide just a nice bite of sweetness throughout and the raspberries burst to great a jammy like sensation in every other mouthful.
There are many other reasons I prefer baking a loaf as opposed to muffins or a round variety of cake…
- Easy slicing
- Perfect for spreading with nut butter!
- No waste
- Slices fit in food bags for easy freezing taking up minimum freezer space
- Usually a nice even rise – I always run a knife down the middle before baking which works a treat!
I’d completely forgotten I had the peanut flour …it’s great for adding a natural protein hit to your baked goods. The 1/2 cup in this loaf adds a hefty 32 grams of protein! A nice little addition! Needless to say now that I have it back in rotation I’ve been making use of it at every given opportunity – new instant breakfast bake coming tomorrow for What I Ate Wednesday!
This loaf is sugar free, gluten free and of course vegan friendly…it just so happens to taste sensational too!
What’s your favourite to bake, muffins, cakes or a loaf and why?
Peanut Butter Raspberry Chocolate Chunk Loaf
Servings – 8 thick slices
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 40 minutes
- 2 cups (240g) cup wholegrain buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) peanut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup (250ml) almond milk
- 1.5 cup pureed banana (3 large ripe bananas)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 squares of dark chocolate roughly chopped (I used Lindt 85%)
- 1 cup fresh raspberries (1 small punnet)
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Whisk together flax and water and set to one side for 15 minutes.
- Sift together peanut flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder and soda.
- Blend together banana puree with milk and vanilla extract.
- Stir through flax eggs once “eggy”.
- Add wet to dry and fold to combine. Gently fold in chocolate chunks and fresh raspberries.
- Place mixture in to a non stick/lined/lightly greased 2lb loaf tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes on a wire rack for best slicing results!