I’m also a big fan of coconut milk in smoothies and pancakes! I pretty much just can’t get enough of the coconut at the moment, it’s definitely the flavour of the month.
I’ve had a jar of Artisana Coconut Butter sitting on my shelf for months which hasn’t gotten much of a look in. Thanks to the chilly Irish climate it’s solidified so the drizzling of it was a distant memory. That was until I came across Kath’s post showing how to simply return it to it’s liquid state by placing the whole jar in saucepan.
I had tried microwaving a portion but it didn’t work and simply started to burn. Placing it in the saucepan worked a treat! I had some curried cauliflower quinoa planned for lunch and drizzling action was part of the plan.
Having spotted Ella’s glorious coconut cauliflower recipe last week it went straight to the top of my must make list. I got out the tricolour quinoa for the occasion. I much prefer the tricolour to straight up white or red on it’s one. The mix of the different textures and flavours is incredible and much more appeasing for mixing with other ingredients; I find white quinoa can be a little too sticky especially when warm.
The combination was positively gorgeous! I’m a big fan of roasted cauliflower but cooking it in the curry infused coconut milk created a dreamy consistency and glorious flavour.
I mixed up mine with the tricolour quinoa and sautéed onion,sprinkled the whole lot with fresh coriander and good generous drizzle or two (maybe three ) of the drippy coconut butter.
Some might question or worry about the potential lack of protein in this meal…well the quinoa provides you with a good 8-9g of complete protein in this single serving! You’ll get another couple of grams from the cauliflower and with 2 more grams in the coconut butter it will bring the plate up to a nice round 13-14g. Not too shabby!
The intensity of the coconut butter far outweighs that of coconut oil. If you’re a coconut fan it’s a must try and buy! I pick up mine from iHerb.com and if you use my code you can get yourself a 10% discount – ZEG786. Just enter it when checking out!
What’s your favourite coconut loaded recipe?
Curried Cauliflower Quinoa (adapted from Naturally Ella)
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 1/4 small head of cauliflower diced in to small florets
- 1/2 cup cooked tricolour quinoa
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut milk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 a medium white onion finely sliced
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 –2 tbsp coconut butter for drizzling over the top
- Coriander to garnish
- Heat coconut oil in pot or skillet. Place onions in to the pot or skillet and sauté until soft. Chop cauliflower into bite-size pieces and add to skillet along with curry powder. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let cook until cauliflower is tender and sauce has thickened; about 15 –20 minutes.
- Toss with quinoa and serve garnish with coriander, coconut butter drizzled over the top.