Marbled

by Peachy Palate on June 11, 2013

There are some cakes that are just good all year round. They serve multiple purposes, are quick and easy to make and their are so many potential variations there is minimal opportunity, let alone chance of ever getting bored.

Banana bread of course! There are few key components to good banana bread…

1. Ripe bananas – the more ripe the sweeter they will be. As I favour adding in no additional sugar these days using super ripe bananas is a must!
  2. Trio of flours – my new favourite baking trio of gluten free flours makes for one mighty fine banana bread and will be from here on in be my go to combination! Oat flour, buckwheat flour and almond flour…a light, slightly doughy banana bread with a nice rise and beautiful bronzed crust.
  3. Patience – in the past I had a bad habit of taking my banana bread out of the oven about 15 minutes too early. It looked done, the toothpick test was inconclusive so I went with whipping it out sooner rather than later. I’ve learned my lesson and now leave a standard loaf in for a good 45-50 minutes and allow it to cool before slicing for best results Smile

I like making a new variety each and every time I whip up a loaf. This one was inspired by a marbled banana bread I spied over at Vegan Yack Attack! Straight up banana bread and chocolate banana bread become one for the ultimate loaf. A delightful idea I just had to recreate of course with my own slant and multiple substitutions.

In fairness it required a little bit of extra work…a couple of additional bowls and spoons to clean but it was oh so worth it. More attention had to be paid then usual. Dumping in the banana batter in to the loaf tin without a second thought is my preferred method. Ensuring I dropped in the chocolate and plain banana bread batter in dollops one after the other demanded more coordination…something which I lack at the best of times!

It turned out beautifully. I was hoping for the rippling and couldn’t really tell what the inside was going to be like until I got to slicing. Not only did it look pretty but it was the perfect consistency and tasted amazing.

I opted for the first taste tester, two thick chunky slices toasted under the grill and spread with my favourite all natural peanut butter….DELICIOUS! A little toasty, the crust a little more crispy, warmed through, it was I could ever want in a banana bread and then some!

(The untouched loaf…)

Two slices remain in the freezer…not for long!

What’s your favourite banana bread variety?

Marbled Banana Bread

Print this easy peasy recipe Print this easy peasy recipe

Preparation Time – 15 minutes

• 2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp water
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (250ml) almond milk
  • 1.5 cups (3 large) pureed banana

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
  2. Mix together flax and water and set to one side for 15 minutes until “eggy” in consistency.
  3. Sift together oat, buckwheat and almond flour with baking powder, soda and cinnamon.
  4. Blend together banana puree, vanilla extract and almond milk.
  5. Stir through flax egg.
  6. Remove 1 cup of the flour mix and sift in cocoa powder.
  7. Divide the banana and milk mix between the two bowl of dry ingredients.
  8. Place alternating scoops of the each batter in a standard 2lb non stick or lined loaf tin until no batter remains.
  9. Run a butter knife through the loaf over and back, swirling as you go a couple of times. Run the knife down the centre for an even rise before placing in the oven to bake for 45 minutes.
  10. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing for best results. Will keep for 5 days in the fridge and is ideal for freezing.

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake June 11, 2013 at 9:09 am

Chocolate and banana bread are two of my favourite foods, so this looks right up my street. I love the marbling effect. It looks so pretty.

Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet June 11, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Oh my this looks yummy. I never knew how the mable effect was done! But now I DO :)

Olivia @ Liv Lives Life June 11, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I love banana bread, but never thought to marble it! Brilliant idea! Quick question: when you say on step 6 to remove 1 cup of the flour mixture and sift in the cocoa powder, do you mean sift it into that 1 cup, or into whatever is remaining in the bowl? Might be a silly question, but I thought I’d ask just in case. :-)

Peachy Palate June 11, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Sift it in to that one cup! :) Sorry might have not been clear! Never a silly question!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 11, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Yum! Banana bread is one of my all time favorite foods. Is there another flour (like whole what perhaps?) that I could sub for the buckwheat?

Peachy Palate June 11, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Yep you could use wholewheat flour definitely, I just use buckwheat a lot as it’s one of my favourite gluten free flours. I’d still use the oat flour with it though, I just love the distinct flavour!

Lacey @ Life Hands You Limes June 11, 2013 at 5:09 pm

oh yum. I even have a whole bunch of ripe bananas on my counter. oh yum yum yum. You know what would also be good (hint hint) if the banana bread part was with peanut flour so it was like chocolate peanut butter banana marbled bread (hint)

Peachy Palate June 11, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I have carob chunk peanut butter loaf up and a chocolate chip peanut butter and raspberry bread too on the recipage :)

Maria @ runningcupcake June 11, 2013 at 5:45 pm

This looks wonderful! I like banana bread with added nuts in there, or good old chocolate chips.

Maria Tadic June 11, 2013 at 5:56 pm

This looks super yummy! I love banana bread – especially with peanut butter frosting! That’s my favorite kind!

Peachy Palate June 11, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I just always make sure to lather some peanut butter on every single slice :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 11, 2013 at 6:26 pm

This is one of the prettiest breads that I have seen :). I am sure that it tastes just as good as it looks, too!

Louise June 11, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Beautiful. Wish I could eat it :(

Michelle, what are your thoughts on juice cleanses or colonics? Expensive, but my body has been poorly treated (past of anxiety, orthorexia, and binging catching up to me and a wealth of digestive issues). Would TRULY love your thoughts…would either be good or one better than the other? They BOTH scare me (esp. the colonic one). But I feel I need something to “reset ” my body and get the gunk out before I can start eating healthy on top of that. If neither of those of doable, then is it impossible to do that some “refresh” of the body without them? At all?

nicole June 11, 2013 at 11:06 pm

yum, i never tried marbled banana bread before! my mom makes a killer one using olive oil and sour cream… i loveee banana bread with walnuts and chocolate chips :)

Kaitlin June 16, 2013 at 6:04 am

Oh great tip about patience! I take my goodies out way too early and wonder what’s wrong. :) I also am looking forward to testing out almond and buckwheat flour in my baking.

Peachy Palate June 16, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Such a good combo! Banana works really well with buckwheat as well!

Andrea August 17, 2013 at 4:14 am

The first time I tried this recipe I really liked how moist it turned out. I also like the texture of the flours. It made a hearty bread, unlike alternative flours I’ve previously tried. However, it lacked taste without accompanied by the almond butter. The second time, I added 1 tsp of salt and 1/4 cup of Truvia Baking Blend. Now, it has some flavor. Do you have any tips for making it a little more flavorful but not adding a lot of sugar?

Thanks

Peachy Palate August 17, 2013 at 9:28 am

Hi Andrea! The key to any good banana bread is super duper ripe blackened bananas! They are what make it sweet….mine tasted like banana!