[donotprint] Every year without fail a man with a van comes up from Wexford (a county in Ireland) and parks up on the side of the main road, not just any main road but the one just outside of where I live. The strawberries for sale signs go up about 5-6 lampposts before you hit his spot on the road, to which the passing cars flock to pick up the amazing, almost local, fresh delicious highly fragrant strawberries like no others…
The waft from the open top punnets is incredible. I highly doubt anyone has ever stopped and not ended up purchasing a punnet or two, they’re just far too enticing. The only exception being the odd occasion that he runs out, usually on the hottest of sunny summer days when fresh strawberries and your creaminess of choice is the only suitable barbecue dessert option!
Said strawberries were the inspiration behind the quinoa salad you seed before you. I wanted something savoury yet sweet, and of course cold…with one of the most ripe oozing with juice watermelons at hand I decided to quite classically combine the too for an amazing refreshing salad that is definitely up there as one of my favourite summer treats.
Watermelon, strawberries, and tricolour quinoa, dressing with avocado basil cream and sweet cashew cream, the duo of sauces/dressing brought the whole thing together wonderfully. It was almost like having dessert for lunch and as I was digging in I quite happily imagined it making a fantastic summer breakfast/brunch dish.
It would also make for an amazing side to serve up at a barbecue or to take along as a super duper picnic component.
The key to this salad is having fresh ripe ingredients; namely strawberries, watermelon and of course the avocado for ultimate creaminess. The tri-colour quinoa is a favourite of mine and adds a wonderful flavour and texture dimension in one fell swoop to the dish.
What’s your idea of the perfect summer salad? I’d love to hear your ideas! [/donotprint]
Summer Strawberry Quinoa
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Basil Avocado Cream
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1/2 small garlic clove
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 cup (10g) fresh basil
- 30ml (1/8 cup) water
- Pinch of fresh sea/rock salt to taste
- 30g (1/4 cup) white raw cashew butter or cashew cheese (homemade from blended raw soaked cashews and water)
- 2 – 3 tbsp water
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup (60g) uncooked tri-colour quinoa + 250ml (1 cup) water
- 5-6 strawberries sliced or diced
- 3 spoonfuls of diced watermelon
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Cover quinoa with water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed. Rinse under cold water or set to one side to cool.
- Blend together cashew cream ingredients (soaking cashews for at least 4 hours in water before blending).
- Blend together avocado cream ingredients and set to one side.
- Mix together fruit and quinoa with some fresh basil. Pour over avocado basil cream and cashew cream, garnish with more fresh basil to serve.