[donotprint] Did I happen to mention how much I love slow roasted tomatoes?
After the amazingly simple slow roasted tomato spaghetti I had a hankering for yet another dose of the sweet salty gems and so decided to whip up a summery pesto.
Sundried and slow roasted tomatoes combined with fresh basil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and roasted almonds…a little nutritional yeast for a hint of cheesiness…
The simple spaghetti was delicious but the pesto pasta was positively glorious!
The waft of basil was intense, the mix of flavours lip smacking good. By far the best pesto I’ve ever made and completely oil free. I used sundried tomatoes from a packet, rehydrated in water. There’s so much flavour in the ingredient mix, all it needs is a little seasoning and a drop of water and it’s every bit as luxurious as you’ll ever need in a pesto.
A bowl of pasta should feel like a hug. Comforting, jam packed with flavour and enjoyed with a single fork in hand.
I stirred through yet more of the slow roasted tomatoes, lots of fresh basil and topped the deceptively deep bowl with some toasted chopped almonds for a little extra crunch.
You know those meals that you make in advance, taste test and then have to fight with all your might not to just dive head first in to the dish, licking it clean right there and then? This was one of those occasions! I’d made the pesto and the pasta the day previous and simply combined all the components before serving. I opted for digging in to the bowlful of gorgeous cold but the pesto would be equally as beautiful served over warm pasta and tomatoes.
Though somehow I think the flavours are that bit more intense (in the best way possible!) when served cold or at room temperature.
I have one regret….
That I didn’t make more of the pesto!!!
Pesto pasta…do you prefer it served cool/cold/warm or piping hot? [/donotprint]
Slow roasted tomato pesto pasta
Servings – 1
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp roasted almonds (roast for 10 minutes at 350F (180C))
- 4- 5 slow roasted tomatoes (about 20g)
- 1/4 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 3 –4 sundried tomatoes (rehydrated in water)
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup (10g) fresh basil
- 1/2 a clove of roasted garlic (or you can use raw, I’m just not a fan!)
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 a cup of slow roasted tomatoes
- Handful of fresh basil
- 1 tbsp roasted almonds chopped
- Wholegrain spelt fusilli
- Blend together all pesto ingredients and set to one side. I used my mini chopper attachment for my handblender! For a larger amount, if you double, triple or even quadruple the recipe a food processor would be ideal.
- Put pasta on to cook for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Mix together pasta with slow roasted tomatoes and basil before pouring in pesto and stirring well to coat. If serving cold allow the pasta to cool first.
- Serve topped with remaining roasted chopped almonds.