I find it hard to pick favourite foods this time of year…there is such a bountiful array of delicious fresh fruits and veggies to choose from, namely berries and the summer stoned fruits. I’m literally eating them for breakfast lunch and dinner at the moment.
I’m going to call them “two of my favourites” but disregarding the others is only temporary. Apricots and cherries are just particularly amazing at the moment; and by moment I mean this week
I picked up a new variety of quinoa a couple of weeks back and then totally forgot I had done….this tends to happen quite regularly. New ingredients get added to my store cupboard stash only to get temporarily consigned to oblivion. Then they catch my eye and I have the instant urge to make use of them at once…
And so this summer fruit kale loaded salad was born! I’d tried tricolour quinoa in the past and loved the nutty crunch of the small amounts of black quinoa through the red and white. All on it’s own it’s amazing! A completely different flavour and texture to the slightly sticky white counterpart.
A whole load of black and chopped kale, lots of fresh cherries and sliced juicy ripe apricots, a few toasted roughly chopped almonds and it was almost good to go…
It was the simple refreshing dressing that brought the whole thing together beautifully. I have a tendency these days to opt for a creamy avocado dressing or something along the lines of the luscious lemon poppy seed dressing from a couple of weeks back. I held back with this one in an effort to let the beauty of the simple ingredients shine through and I was mightily impressed.
You know those meals that you find yourself literally shovelling in to you, the flavour so delicious you don’t want to give your tastebuds a moments break, lapping it up for as long as it lasts until you’re starring down at an empty dish wishing you had just a little more?
This was one of those salads! Cold food never tasted so amazing as it does at the moment. Usually even during the summer months I’m a warm food kinda girl when it comes to lunches and dinners….the last few weeks have been quite the contrary!
What’s your favourite fruit to include in salads?
- 1 cup roughly chopped kale
- 2 medium apricots sliced
- 8-10 large cherries pitted and sliced in half
- 1/3 cup (60g) uncooked black quinoa + 250ml water
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped lightly toasted almonds
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cover quinoa with water, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients and set to one side.
- Place kale in a colander and pour a cup (250ml) boiling water and rinse immediately with cold water.
- Mix together all salad ingredients (once quinoa has cooled!), reserving a little few almonds for topping; pour over dressing and toss well to combine. Serve with remaining almonds on top. This salad tastes even more amazing when left to sit in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.