Pea Protein & The Last of the Summer Stones…

by Peachy Palate on September 5, 2013

I haven’t been using a whole lot of protein powder of late.

My go to vegan protein powder has always been Vanilla Sunwarrior, I’ve never even tried the other two flavours. I spotted the pea protein in The Happy Pear last week and immediately through it in my shopping basket to give it a whirl!

The first protein taste test of course had to be a simple straight up smoothie….

Blended up with the VERY last of the summer cherries…I wish I had of frozen more of them! Along with some juicy ripe peaches which I actually froze the night before in preparation for the smoothie I had planned to whizz up post spin class the following morning!

So how do I rate it….

Flavour minimal which is always a good thing when you want the other ingredients to shine.

Tasteagain I don’t think it really has any!

Chalkinessvery VERY slightly, so much so that I could have possibly been imagining it!

Digestionno issues plus it left me feeling incredibly full for a good 4-5 hours after!

Downside – (just so I can end on a positive not below…) it doesn’t have the same thickening effect of Sunwarrior.

UpsideIt’s just pea protein. No added thickener or sweetener, just straight up pea protein isolate!

Will I be buying more? Most definitely! I’ve made protein bars (which I’ll share over the weekend!), experimented with pancakes but they weren’t quite as thick and fluffy as my heart desires, truffles (next week!) and cookies are on the cards for the weekend!

The smoothie itself was DIVINE! I mean how could it not be with cherries, right? Cherries, peaches and half a frozen banana, almond butter, almond extract, almond milk and the pea protein. A relatively simple combination, whizzed up to perfection and topped off with some cacao nibs for a little bit of bitter crunch – one of my favourite smoothie toppers!

With the surge in September temperatures it was the perfect post spinning (pre shower) cooler!

What’s your favourite vegan friendly protein? Hemp is next on my hit list to try!

Cherry Peach Pea Protein Smoothie

by Michelle Hunt

Prep Time: 4 minutes

Keywords: blender raw beverage breakfast snack gluten-free vegan vegetarian sugar-free almond extract almond butter almond milk pea protein

Ingredients (Serves 1)

• 1 cup (250ml) unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 a ripe frozen banana
  • 2 small peaches (fresh pitted sliced and frozen)
  • 1/2 a heaped cup of cherries (fresh pitted, sliced and frozen)
  • 1 tbsp almond butter
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 scoop (21g) pea protein
  • Cacao nibs, slices of fresh peach and fresh cherries to garnish!

Instructions

Blend together all ingredients until perfectly smooth.

Serve topped with peach slices, a couple of fresh cherries and cacao nibs if desired.

Powered by Recipage

Amy @ The Little Honey Bee September 5, 2013 at 11:04 am

Yummy combo! I love using pea protein in smoothies but have yet to to make pancakes/bars. Excited to see what you came up with :)

Lauren (@PoweredbyPB) September 5, 2013 at 11:27 am

Sunwarrior and Vega are my absolute favourites, choc sunwarrior for me everytime! I like pulsin’s pea and rice protein though.

Peachy Palate September 5, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Never tried Vega. Do you order in from the States?

Paulina September 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm

How much protein is in a serving of the pea protein powder?

Peachy Palate September 5, 2013 at 1:39 pm

8.2 g per 10g…so a serving is usually 20g so you get about 16.4g of protein, similar to other vegan and whey proteins!

Nadia September 5, 2013 at 3:57 pm

My new protein powder I’m loving is the Garden of Life RAW PROTEIN. I use the original flavour. I have never found a protein powder that didn’t make me bloat at least a bit… but I must say this is the best I’ve tried so far! I also like that it has enzymes and probiotics in the powder as well. I eat meat a few days a week so I’m not super concerned with protein, but I still like to put some of this in my smoothies. Try it out if its available near you (they have individual packs so you dont’ have to shell out the price for the full container).

Peachy Palate September 5, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Oh nice! I live in Ireland though, don’t think they sell it here but I could get it from iHerb probably!

Kalee September 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Yum!! I have SO many peaches right now too that I really need to try this!

Sarah @ Sweet Miles September 5, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Holy goodness that looks SO GOOD!!! I might have to add that protein powder to my shopping list, I love that you said it isn’t very strong!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health September 5, 2013 at 5:32 pm

You just reminded me I haven’t eaten enough cherries lately! Wow, this looks yummy.

I love Sun Warrior too but the Pea Protein sounds good also- I love that the ingredients are so simple. I also love Amazing Grass and use it in my smoothies. It’s expensive but it tastes great and it’s loaded with healthy stuff!

Peachy Palate September 5, 2013 at 6:59 pm

You still have cherries??? Food envy right here!!!