Cookie, caramel, caramel, pecans, coconut…more chocolate, nuts…need I say anymore! All of my favourite things layered up to create the most exquisite treat known to human kind…over the top!? THAT’S how head over heels in LOVE I am with these mighty squares!
Seven layers, each one representing a test on my patience…a test I tortured myself not once but twice, but me oh my was it so worth it. Recipes, sweet, savoury and everything in between usually fall in to one of three categories…
- Good enough to share…pretty pleasing to the palate!
- Absolute trash, a dismal failure..almost fit for the bin and likely to leave me feeling more than a tad disappointed and more often than not berating myself for not having gone down a different route/having wasted fresh ingredients.
- SUCCESS!!! Pure blissful joy, the kind you want to leap up and down about, and I do, torn between sharing the deliciousness with friends and family and holding on to every bite for yourself.
These magic cookie bars fall in to the third..but of course!!! I actually made them three times over..the first were a baked version which didn’t win me over at all. They were also laden with sugar, albeit honey but sugar nonetheless and looked a little messy.
The second were pretty much perfect but I was having one of my “how on earth do I capture the beauty of these” mornings and subsequently failed to do so. Having eaten 5 of the 9 squares myself, with praise from those who were lucky enough to get a “square” of the action, I knew I had to make them again.
Seven days later, seven more layers of patience…and a little more fore thought, giving these babies photo snapping priority, and they were ready to share. That was Monday…4 days later and I have 1 square left! To make it another 5 for me or donate it to a coconut loving friend…I’ll have to see how my day pans out first before I decide!
Apart from being 100% lift me right up off my feet awesome these squares have a beautiful and healthy ingredient list..nuts, dates, raw cacao butter and powder, coconut milk and butter…and a little stevia (I used this brand in powder form!)…wholesome full fat body loving goodness!
We don’t even have such a thing in Ireland, Magic Cookie Bars I mean…they definitely need to become more mainstream! Here’s to bringing the magic to Ireland!
Magic Cookie Squares
Prep Time: 2 hours…
Keywords: raw dessert snack grain free low-carb paleo soy-free sugar-free vegan vegetarian almonds cacao butter coconut butter walnuts
Ingredients (9 tall squares!)
Cookie Dough Layer
- 1/2 cup (50g) raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup (60g) raw almonds
- 1/4 (25g) raw pecans
- 1/4 cup (60g) Medjool dates
- 2 tbsp (28g) melted coconut oil
Raw Chocolate Layer
- 75g (1/3 cup) raw cacao butter
- 55g (1/2 cup) raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp (14g) coconut oil
- Seeds from half a vanilla pod (option)
- Pinch of Himilayan Rock Salt
- 4 tbsp Stevia Erylite powdered or 3 tbsp honey/maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 3/4 cup (130g) Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup (60g) roasted cashew butter (100% nut!, no sugar, no oil!)
- 2 tbsp (28g) coconut oil
- 2 tbsp full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (60g) toasted pecans
- 3 tbsp (42g) coconut butter
- 80ml (1/3 cup) full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup (25g) unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Seeds from the other half of the vanilla pod…(optional)
- Reserve 1/4 cup of raw chocolate chopped in to chunks
- Reserved chopped pecans
For the Base
Blitz nuts to a medium crumb in your food processor. Remove and set aside.
Blend dates to a paste in your food processor.
Add back in nuts and blend to combine. Add in coconut oil and salt and blend until well incorporated.
Press mixture in to a 6 inch square loose bottom tray and spread evenly using a pastry roller or your finger tips. Place in to the fridge to firm up for half an hour.
For the Chocolate
Melt cacao butter and coconut oil slowly in a jug or bowl placed in to a larger jug or bowl filled with boiling water.
Once fully melted whisk or blend (using an electric whisk or hand blender) in the remaining ingredients.
Pour 1/4 cup (60ml) of the raw chocolate mixture in a small dish lined with baking parchment (approx 2-3 inches in diameter or you can use muffin cups and place in the fridge to firm up. You’ll be using this for your chocolate chunks to go on top!
Pour the remaining chocolate over the base and return to the fridge for another half an hour until solid.
For the Caramel
Blend dates to a paste. Add in oil and cashew butter. Once combined add in salt and water and blend until you have smooth glossy paste.
Spread caramel over the chocolate layer, making sure to go right to the edge.
Press roughly chopped pecans over the caramel layer (toast for 10 minutes in the oven at 160C (320F) if desired, just be sure to let them cool before layering up!) Reserve 1/2 tbsp of chopped pecans for topping.
Return to the fridge for 15 minutes.
Coconut Cream Layer
Chop the reserved chocolate in to chunks.
Melt coconut butter in the microwave in 30 second increments (it will only take about 1 – 1.30 minutes) or using the same method as the cacao butter. Whisk together coconut butter and coconut milk. Drizzle over the pecan layer and spread using a knife; careful not to shift the pecans!
Quickly sprinkle over coconut, followed by the reserved pecans and the chocolate chunks. Place a piece of parchment paper over the top and gently press down the nuts and chocolate chunks. Return to the fridge for at least 2 hours to firm up but ideally overnight before slicing in to 9 chunky squares.
These will keep in the fridge for up to one week, in the freezer for one month…but they are likely to disappear within a couple of days!