Taco Thursday! Even though I feel like I’m a day behind this week which is definitely more ideal than being a day ahead. My weekend is coming early!
The prep time on this one is minimal if you have rice cooked in advance or you go down the super easy route of using a precooked microwaveable packet. Personally my preferred lazy option if I don’t have any cooked is to go buy a tub of freshly cooked rice from a delicatessen or somewhere like Avoca! SO MUCH NICER!
Turkey mince can be hella boring and as much as I do love my red meat, notably beef mince bolognese, but sometimes I quite literally crave turkey! I’m not even sure if it’s possible to crave tryptophan, my body seeking out that serotonin boost, but whatever the reason behind it I generally go with whatever my body is asking for.
This salad is all about texture, crunchy crumbled tortilla chips, creamy avocado, cool yogurt dressing and crispy round the edges smoky mince. When mingled up together lettuce never tasted so good!
Turkey Taco SaladPrint Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g lean ground turkey breast mince
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp Pink Himalayan rock Salt
- 1 large handful fresh coriander
- 4 large handfuls of mixed leafy greens of choice; I used spinach and baby kale
- 250g cooked black forbidden rice
- 1 mango peeled and sliced
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- 4 handfuls of tortilla chips of choice (approx. 25g per person)
- ***For the dressing***
- 150g 0% Fat Natural Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- ¼ - ½ tsp Pink Himalayan Rock Salt to taste
- 20g fresh coriander, stalks removed
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium to high heat.
Add turkey mince and chipotle powder through to salt. Fry for 5 minutes, breaking up the mince as it cooks. Add about 3 tbsp of water to prevent it drying out. Cook for 5 minutes more. The water should be evaporated by the time it’s cooked through.
Assemble the salad ingredients and divide between four large bowls.
Blend together dressing ingredients in a smaller chopper or blender.
Add turkey mince to salads, pour over dressing and crumble over the tortilla chips before serving.