Summer is salad… but not a boring ass tomato, lettuce and cucumber salad! It needs to have an array of goodies, a beautiful mash up of nutrients, textures, flavours and colour.
This one is made up of roast or air fried sweet potato chunks, corn straight from the cob because I love how it holds together in parts, buttery avocado, black eyed peas (black beans also work well or even chickpeas, you want a bean with a bit of bite!), tomatoes, and roasted red peppers. Sweet, savoury, deliciousness topped with a creamy hemp seed ranch.
Vegan and plant based, most definitely a crowd pleaser.
Recipe created for Linwoods Health Foods. This is not a sponsored post.
Southwest Chopped Salad with Hemp RanchPrint Recipe
- **For the Dressing**
- ½ cup (70g) Linwoods Health Foods Hemp Seeds
- ⅓ cup oat or almond milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried dill
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- **For the Salad**
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced, skin on
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can of black eyed peas or black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 cup of cherry or baby plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small head of romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 baby corn on the cobs, cooked, or ½ a cup of cooked corn
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- 1 whole jarred roasted red pepper, sliced
- Fresh coriander to serve and some more Linwoods Hemp Seeds
Preheat your oven to 180C (350F).
Place sweet potato on a baking tray, drizzle with oil, season with salt, and roast for 30 minutes. You can also save time by cooking the bite size pieces in an air fryer for 15 minutes.
Blend together all dressing ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth. Can be made in advance and stored in the fridge in a sealed container for 4-5 days.
Assemble salads with lettuce, corn removed from the cob, diced avocado, tomato, roasted red pepper and roast sweet potato chunks. Add dollops of the thick and creamy ranch dressing, a little sprinkling of hemp seeds and coriander to serve.